What's new

What do you clean your keyboard with?

Keep mine pretty clean, but will still 'lightly' use a compressed air can to blow it out, then clean the keyboard with isopropyl alchohol swabs before I sell my SP3 in favor of my new SP4.

Question - what do people use to clean the fabric part?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
"
The Touch Cover and the Type Cover require minimum care to function well. To clean the keyboard, wipe with a lint-free cloth dampened in mild soap and water. Don’t apply liquids directly to Surface. Do this often to keep your Touch Cover or Type Cover looking great.

If the spine or magnetic connections of your cover get dirty or stained, apply a small amount of isopropyl alcohol (also called rubbing alcohol) to a soft, lint-free cloth to clean."

OP
No_ax_to_grind
"
The Touch Cover and the Type Cover require minimum care to function well. To clean the keyboard, wipe with a lint-free cloth dampened in mild soap and water. Don’t apply liquids directly to Surface. Do this often to keep your Touch Cover or Type Cover looking great.

If the spine or magnetic connections of your cover get dirty or stained, apply a small amount of isopropyl alcohol (also called rubbing alcohol) to a soft, lint-free cloth to clean."
I inquired about the fabric part.

benjitek

Not sure if the SP3 type keyboard is made the same as the SP2's -- but I found that while the top part feels like fabric, it's not -- it's some sort of finely texturized vinyl and can be wiped with a damp cloth. Also, I find that vacuuming the keys with the 'horsehair' dusting attachment is far better than compressed air which tends to force more particles further underneath the keys than it blows out.

The felt on the bottom is the hard part. Felt always struck me as an odd design choice, especially after my SP2's maiden voyage to Starbucks -- what looked like a clean surface wasn't, but it was after my keyboard absorbed it. I was tempted to try some pool table felt cleaner -- but realized the extra warranty coverage I'd purchased included the keyboard; when I called it in they sent me a new one and said not to return the old one. Worked out as that's now my Starbucks-Keyboard ;-)

Telstar1948

All I've ever used on my SP3 type cover is a damp cloth followed by a dry cloth. It looks new. Of course, I haven't gotten it stained, but if so I'd try the rubbing alcohol approach.