What's new

What Do You Do With the Keyboard When Not Using It on an Airplane?

DavidZ

When I'm using the SP4 at home in tablet mode, I simply detach the keyboard and put it aside.

On a recent airplane trip, I found myself fumbling around looking for a place to put the keyboard. Do I put it in the magazine pouch in front of me? Do I set it aside between my hip and the armrest? Do I just hold the detached keyboard in my hands underneath the tablet? Or do I leave the keyboard attached and fold it back around behind the tablet?

I'm curious to know what others are doing in this situation.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When I'm using the SP4 at home in tablet mode, I simply detach the keyboard and put it aside.

On a recent airplane trip, I found myself fumbling around looking for a place to put the keyboard. Do I put it in the magazine pouch in front of me? Do I set it aside between my hip and the armrest? Do I just hold the detached keyboard in my hands underneath the tablet? Or do I leave the keyboard attached and fold it back around behind the tablet?

I'm curious to know what others are doing in this situation.
I flip in around and cover the back (so the keys are against the Surface not facing out)

OP
D

DavidZ

Leave it in the bag you pull the surface out of?

Good idea!

I typically leave the keyboard attached to the SP4 in my bag. So when I remove it, I have to detach the keyboard and then put it somewhere. But if I leave the keyboard detached in my bag, I can just slip the tablet out and in as needed. I just need to figure out a way to make sure not to scratch the glass on the way in or out.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I don't put stuff in the magazine pouch. That's where it goes away due to my forgetfulness.
Airline employees tend to have the latest equipment, and can be seen reading the latest books, both on Kindle and paper. :rolleyes:

OP
D

DavidZ

I don't put stuff in the magazine pouch. That's where it goes away due to my forgetfulness.
Airline employees tend to have the latest equipment, and can be seen reading the latest books, both on Kindle and paper. :rolleyes:

I always travel with a lot of stuff , so I don't have much of a choice. Ever since losing a portable CD player that way about 15 years ago, I've gotten very good at checking and double checking the pouch each time I deplane.

OK, so where do you put your unused keyboard when you fly?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I keep it in the bag. Also serves as a quick hint about where to put the Surface - instead of being rushed into randomly picking a new spot and risking damage.

And regarding damage, I have a glass protector, giving me much peace of mind.

I travel the world with my Surface - and not just by air.
Post your SP3's in the WILD!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand why this isn't the obvious answer. It is made to be flipped to be a back cover when not in use

Depends on the depth of the seat tray. I've had a few instances where the table was just not deep enough. If it fits though, this is how i do it. It also offers a bit of friction to stop it sliding around at the slightest touch, or pull of a headphone cable etc. It wouldn't be in keeping with the sleek and minimalist deign of the surface, but it really could do with some rubber pads or such to stop it skating across hard surfaces.

Zkyevolved

I flip it down, so it creates more room for the kick stand when I prop it up against the tray, but if I'm not using the tray, I like to just use device in tablet mode. But for the last 2 weeks now I've been using this case. I wrote a review on my blog if anyone would want to read it. Here's a picture of it, its the ESR SP4 case. I love it. I haven't even taken it off in these 2 weeks! Regardless, with this case, I can't flip the keyboard backwards, so I have to disconnect it and leave it in my bag, which is OK. But this case also gives a lot of stability to the kick stand since now it has a lot more room to rest on (like your lap or tray).

20160207_192915.jpg

JordanAT

Depends on the depth of the seat tray. I've had a few instances where the table was just not deep enough. If it fits though, this is how i do it. It also offers a bit of friction to stop it sliding around at the slightest touch, or pull of a headphone cable etc. It wouldn't be in keeping with the sleek and minimalist deign of the surface, but it really could do with some rubber pads or such to stop it skating across hard surfaces.

Wow, that's some seriously small plane/tray. I don't think I've every seen an airline tray that's less than 6" deep front to back (1/2 of overhang f/b of the typecover). When I go into "tent" mode, I flip the keyboard around so that the outside of the cover is resting on the table/tray surface. The flocking/suede on the outside of the cover makes for a pretty good non-sliding interface on smooth tables.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow, that's some seriously small plane/tray. I don't think I've every seen an airline tray that's less than 6" deep front to back (1/2 of overhang f/b of the typecover). When I go into "tent" mode, I flip the keyboard around so that the outside of the cover is resting on the table/tray surface. The flocking/suede on the outside of the cover makes for a pretty good non-sliding interface on smooth tables.

We don't all fly on jumbo jets :) last plane I was on was a turboprop the size of a sardine can.