What's new

What does everyone think of Edge?

cereal killer

I've heard a myriad of complaints and praises. For me, I really like it -- stable, fast, and smooth. I don't use any extensions so its been perfect.

Curious what everyone thinks. Thanks!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
I haven't tried it yet, but I am open-minded to the idea that Microsoft created something much better than what IE became! :)

Redguard

It's okay... except it's a pain in the butt to organize my bookmarks into specific folders. Like... how did they miss that?

BillJ

It's okay... except it's a pain in the butt to organize my bookmarks into specific folders. Like... how did they miss that

I was just working on my "favorites" bar; just right click on a favorite, choose "create new folder", and then drag and drop. Seems very simple

I am looking forward to getting some better flexibility with ad blocking; when I use any hosts list hack, some of the websites I use no longer work.

Overall, I am very happy with Edge

leeshor

On a desktop, the more I use it, the less I like it. It's better than IE in some ways and not as good in others. Lack of some plugins and other options is probably me biggest complaint.

CrippsCorner

For me, same results as IE...

Desktop: Chrome > Edge
Tablet: Edge > Chrome

Would I use Edge over IE? Yes, because it renders better.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's like the fisher price of browsers. Big buttons and very little functionality. I'm not a heavy user so am fine using it, but I wouldn't even be able to viably watch a video stream on Edge if I hadn't edited the hosts file to stop popups and such.

MS have a long way to go before it is anywhere close to being competitive. Not having a "search the web" on right click is just pathetic. Sure you can have an annoying Cortana tab open up on the side, but I want nothing to do with Cortana, so the browser becomes rather worthless as a result.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, how could you make Edge better in tablet mode.
Give it a ribbon interface and make it disappear at the top but you can pull it down with a swipe. Dozens of features and favorites easily accessible... easy as 1, 2, 3. What have they been working on all this time???

CrippsCorner

It's like the fisher price of browsers. Big buttons and very little functionality. I'm not a heavy user so am fine using it, but I wouldn't even be able to viably watch a video stream on Edge if I hadn't edited the hosts file to stop popups and such.

MS have a long way to go before it is anywhere close to being competitive. Not having a "search the web" on right click is just pathetic. Sure you can have an annoying Cortana tab open up on the side, but I want nothing to do with Cortana, so the browser becomes rather worthless as a result.

True, I love that feature on Chrome.

It's also harder work to grab image URL's on Edge, just as it always was with IE... very frustrating as I do that all the time.

ScottyS

In earlier versions I couldn't drag a tab off to make it a new window, but now that works. I still miss being able to drag a url off the address bar to make a quick shortcut on the desktop.
My favorites take 10 seconds to load the first time I click on the button, and to organize hundreds of Favorites on that list is a nightmare. I have to copy/paste the path in Explorer to get to the actual folder where they're stored to organize them (and I don't know if it was that stupid iCloud or past Spartan builds that gave me multiple copies of many urls).

Russ

. . . it's not ready for Prime Time but could evolve into a decent browser.

Scotty --

Time will tell, but it's not there yet -- at least for me. It is probably a quirk in my system (Win10, 10240), but all I ever get is "This page is having a problem," then Edge closes. I'm sure it is a solvable problem, but I just haven't any interest in solving it. I use Firefox as my primary browser and IE as my default browser. The combination works for me.

Regaards,
Russ