What's new

What gripes, if any, do you have about the Surface RT?

bosamar

I love the build quality of my RT and Type Cover. My complaints are the 64GB only came with a Touch Cover (if it came with a Type Cover I would had bought a 64), the camera could had been better, microSD integration with RT OS could had been better.

Russ

I'm somewhat surprised others are finding the Kindle app to be "unusable". I use the RT as a reader every night with the app . . ..

Compnovo --

I, too, find the Kindle app very usable, and I use it all the time. My only complaint about the Kindle app on RT is that it won't let me sideload .mobi books, as I can on the PC app and on the iPad. Can't blame the RT for that, though; that's how Amazon designed the app. I have a ton of .mobi books that I had to convert to .epub, and am using the Freda app to read them.

As for the RT itself, no complaints of consequence. I'm with Arnold on that: I knew what it was when I bought it, and would buy it again. My only problem with my RT is what to do with it when my new Pro arrives. It will make no sense to have both, but maybe life doesn't always have to make sense.

Take care,
Russ

FFX

My biggest compliant with the Surface RT is that everything is slightly slower than on my iPad. It's not as fluid. This may be something you don't notice if this is your only tablet, but obvious to me when switching from my Surface RT to iPad 3 or mini. From zooming in on pictures, to apps loading, to scrolling, etc.

Additionally IE is not as good of a browser as Safari or Chrome. For instance, I am replying back to this thread on my mini using the onscreen keyboard. I can't do that on the Surface. Going back on a page is slower and so is zooming in on text. This is a big issue when the Surface lacks great apps.

Strange I feel scrolling and zooming is smother then the iPad 4, and that's also the impression from almost all reviewers. The on screen keyboard bug, isn't IEs fault, its this forum board.

compnovo

Compnovo --

I, too, find the Kindle app very usable, and I use it all the time. My only complaint about the Kindle app on RT is that it won't let me sideload .mobi books, as I can on the PC app and on the iPad. Can't blame the RT for that, though; that's how Amazon designed the app. I have a ton of .mobi books that I had to convert to .epub, and am using the Freda app to read them.

Hey Russ,
I had a hunch it had to do with a feature I wasn't using (sideloading .mobi books). I haven't tried the Freda app yet and one of the library options is .epub books. I'll have to give it a try.

Russ

I haven't tried the Freda app yet and one of the library options is .epub books. I'll have to give it a try.

Compnovo --

Freda is a good app for reading .epub books, and there is a bunch of free stuff out there in .epub format. I converted a lot of my .mobi books to .epub, so I could read them on my RT. Unfortunately, the conversion process is a bit ragged sometimes (true with all the converters, and I have tried them all), and often leaves peculiar anomalies in the text. I keep hoping some developer will do an RT app for reading .mobi, but not yet.

Take care,
Russ

borka105

Strange I feel scrolling and zooming is smother then the iPad 4, and that's also the impression from almost all reviewers. The on screen keyboard bug, isn't IEs fault, its this forum board.

Here's an easy example. Open up 5 tabs in IE and then try to close each one.. There is a slight lag as you press to close each tab...

Go to a website like espn.com and try to zoom in on the headlines on the far right. The clear type text effect takes a second or two to work. It is more noticeable when opening apps like News, Sports, Finance, or zooming in on pictures. When you scroll slowly, the text stutters as well because the clear type needs a second to work.. On the iPad you can actually have one finger on the screen and scroll with the other finger without distorting the text.

Regarding the forum bug, why is it only a bug in IE and not in Safari? If the Surface only runs IE then that's an issue with the tablet. Same thing with other websites like Redfin, Zillow that don't work properly. You can say that websites aren't optimized for the new IE, but ultimately we suffer when MS only provides one browser option...

The camera is also not up to par, the screen resolution is last generation, and the volume is too low... These are all hardware issues that should not exist in a premium tablet.

With all that said, the Surface has many pros, but this thread is to identify gripes.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Here's an easy example. Open up 5 tabs in IE and then try to close each one.. There is a slight lag as you press to close each tab...

Mine close as soon as I touch the x.

Go to a website like espn.com and try to zoom in on the headlines on the far right. The clear type text effect takes a second or two to work. It is more noticeable when opening apps like News, Sports, Finance, or zooming in on pictures. When you scroll slowly, the text stutters as well because the clear type needs a second to work.. On the iPad you can actually have one finger on the screen and scroll with the other finger without distorting the text.

I can use a finger and the screen and scroll text while reading without issue. When reflowing text it does take a second to clear but literally just a second. Apple does this differently and I would say it is quicker for the clearing of text. I have seen it discussed where there are other trade offs (I believe it is that more of the page is checker boarded because it isn't loaded) but either way, it is ok if Apple flat out does this best even without compromise. There is nothing wrong with somebody being better than the others at text reflow. What the Surface offers isn't horrible or even substandard but not the best either.

Regarding the forum bug, why is it only a bug in IE and not in Safari? If the Surface only runs IE then that's an issue with the tablet. Same thing with other websites like Redfin, Zillow that don't work properly. You can say that websites aren't optimized for the new IE, but ultimately we suffer when MS only provides one browser option...

This is strictly a site compatibility and web administrator issue. It isn't fully compatible with IE's standards and that isn't the fault of MS or IE they can't control how others set up their own websites.

The camera is also not up to par,

I agree they should have been better than they are (they are below average) but for me the front camera works fine for skyping and I don't use it for anything else so it wouldn't have mattered ;)

the screen resolution is last generation,

Not sure how you figure this. You must be referring to the RT screen. The pixel density is enough to be crisp and clear. While I would prefer a higher PPI in the range of 200+ the clear type does a good job of boosting the perceived clarity near this range. The bonus is that in desktop mode things are usable without scaling issues. The resolution chosen is a standard resolution and makes a very good compromise for what the RT needs to do.

and the volume is too low...

Have you applied the updates and made the appropriate adjustments in settings? The Surface is on par with other tablets for volume.

These are all hardware issues that should not exist in a premium tablet.

Only screen resolution, camera and to some degree the sound (though small speakers even laptop size have always had this compromise) are hardware issues. The rest are software issues. This is also a first generation device with first generation areas that can be improved. Again it doesn't have so much to do with being premium as being new. The screen and camera resolutions are well publicized, if you need a higher resolution than this isn't the tablet your are looking for regardless of being "premium".

With all that said, the Surface has many pros, but this thread is to identify gripes.

Yep these are all gripes but there are differences between gripes and personal preferences as well. One of these things has absolutely nothing to do with the Surface at all. There is always the next generation to look forward to and I am sure there will be faster processors, higher screen resolutions and better battery life :D

For a couple of the issues, if you are experiencing some lag you might want to make sure you are updated. If so and you are experiencing issues anyway you might want to try a refresh.

I am with the others though that the specs are well publicized and you know what you are getting. It isn't really a Surface issue but a self imposed gripe if you buy a certain screen resolution and then say it is too low. Gripes are things like the mail app, the power plug, the book marks in IE Modern, etc. As a first generation device and knowing what you are getting into it is really a good machine. It isn't perfect but there is nothing else that is either. Maybe I should open a constructive criticism thread instead ;)

It has 1000's of do absolutely nothing RT apps in that poorly constructed store, BUT. . . without an app for "Encrypting the Wi-Fi connection" it is a stay at home toy. Never goes out of my protected network.

What do you mean with "Encrypting the Wi-Fi connection"? Wi-Fi protection is determined by the Wi-Fi hotspot (e.g. WEP or WPA), and you can still safely browse https websites even on an open wi-fi connection.

ArnoldC

Maybe he meant IPSec, specifically Cisco IPSec.

Having said that, Surface RT supports VPN.

Last edited:
What do you mean with "Encrypting the Wi-Fi connection"? Wi-Fi protection is determined by the Wi-Fi hotspot (e.g. WEP or WPA), and you can still safely browse https websites even on an open wi-fi connection.

When not at "home" with my laptop, I run Norton's Hotspot. https://hotspot.norton.com/desktop/home.html
Of course it is not a Store App, and the program cannot be installed. Yes, I knew that when I bought the RT. But with the promise of expanding the store and offering many "quality apps" I figured there would be options.

I looked at VPN briefly, and to be honest, I do not see how that is going to help me when I go on vacation at my hotel. http://surfacegeeks.net/setting-up-a-vpn-connection-with-surface-rt.html

I'm just an average guy here, and don't get this explanation at all.

So that's what I dislike about the RT, the OS is not for me.

Last edited:

refi

Ustream is one of my gripes with the RT, I can see videos via ustream, but I cannot broadcast live audio or video streams using the tablet, have to go back to my laptop or desktop to do that. I guess this is to do with flash restrictions but would be eternally grateful if someone could point out a solution/workaround to this.

The lack of a good mkv player is another.

The simplistic default mail client is a third.

Caveat: I think the RT is a great device, with a few improvements it could be a fantastic device :)

There are a few websites I still don't see all of. I haven't found some of the apps I was hoping for. What it does do pleases me. I'm happy. I hope things keep getting added, my concern is that they'll just kind of let it drop. I always see people that are proud of their ipad app, and their android app, when am I going to start seeing the windows app?