What's new

What happened to March Firmware Update?

clemgrad85

Has anyone noticed that the March Firmware Update disappeared? I installed the other updates early yesterday (Wed), but the March Firmware Update didn't appear until late yesterday (so after installing the other updates). I did NOT install it as I was waiting to hear if there were any issues. I noticed this AM that it was still available for install, and again, did not download and install it. Well, just happened to look a few minutes ago and it is no longer listed as being available to me. I looked under Install History and it isn't listed as being installed. Did MS remove it for some reason? Did anyone else notice it being gone? I have my updates set to notify me when updates are available and to manually download and install, so it wouldn't have downloaded and installed a firmware anyway, would it?

be77solo

No, I have mine set that way as well, it won't install by itself. I did install the March updates on Tuesday successfully, and oddly I got an update come through this morning for System Hardware dated 2/11/2014. I have yet to install it.

I wonder if this is related?

kundas1

OMG, that happened to me too but for my Surface 2, BUT I installed them right away and then when I checked to see in my history, it isn't there! Last update was shows last MONTH! Wtf? Where'd it all go? LOL

GoodBytes

You are correct.
It's been removed it looks like: Microsoft Surface Pro 2 update history | Surface firmware updates

Well everything works very well on my side with the March update.
I see no February update show up.

I wonder if because its different based on hardware revisions. Meaning, I have 0 issue as my revision of the internals has no problem with the March firmware. While others have issues so for those affected, gets the February update back.

Last edited:
I updated on Tuesday and haven't noticed any performance changes - good or bad. Using a 64GB 4300U if that helps.

Last edited:

be77solo

You are correct.
It's been removed it looks like: Microsoft Surface Pro 2 update history | Surface firmware updates

Well everything works very well on my side with the March update.
I see no February update show up.

I wonder if because its different based on hardware revisions. Meaning, I have 0 issue as my revision of the internals has no problem with the March firmware. While others have issues so for those affected, gets the February update back.
Oddly, on this link I still see the March Update details listed:
Microsoft Surface Pro 2 update history | Surface firmware updates

jrapdx

Damn. I received and installed the updates yesterday. Since then, at least several hours later, I started to notice some rather odd behaviors.

Wifi: every time I turned on my Bluetooth mouse, WiFi would disconnect, I couldn't receive or send data to the remote site. I have two APs and an additional USB adapter. When I exchange the SSIDs the adapters accessed, the connection was more steady. But I'd been using the setup for at least 2 months and having to reverse it was weird.

Keyboard: I have the Type Cover 2. Since the updates the keyboard becomes totally screwed up. It's like the Caps Lock is on, but for only some keys. For example, it won't type a "." no matter what, only inserts ">" with/without Shift, Caps Lock on/off.

Trying to use a text editor, all of a sudden I'm only able to select text, not enter any text at all, and no way to return to regular mode.

These problems are very, very annoying and disheartening.

I'm seeing the ghost of Dec 10 here. If MS repeats such dirty tricks, it's going to be a bad, bad situation.

GoodBytes

No issues here. Things are better on my side.
However, I don't have Bluetooth device to test. But Bluetooth with 2.4GHz wireless is known, an nothing new from what I can see with these 2-1 wireless cards. The best is 2 separate cards for max speed and reliability for both. Or get a different router that like the wireless card more, or use 5GHz wireless N.

Are you sure your keyboard is not miss connected. Disconnect it. Clean the contacts on both keyboard and surface pro 2. Make sure that everything is nice and clean, and connect it back.
If the problem is not solved: Shutdown. Then press volume Up and Power button for several seconds until the screen flash, and let go, your system will start (or press the power button again - forgot if you need to do this), and that should do the trick.

Keyboard: I have the Type Cover 2. Since the updates the keyboard becomes totally screwed up. It's like the Caps Lock is on, but for only some keys. For example, it won't type a "." no matter what, only inserts ">" with/without Shift, Caps Lock on/off.

Sorry to hear that. I would give it a try if I had a keyboard. I know I've seen it recommended to do the firmware updates with the keyboard covers installed. Was yours connected when you did the update?

Mr.whiskers

Yeah I updated everything yesterday, and now my surface runs hot all the time and the fan is constantly on (when I don't think it ever came on before that)...Any suggestions?

Looking in the task manager "Service Host: Local System (12)" is running about 30% of my processor and 20% of my memory, could that maybe have something to do with it? I've already tried powering down, but that didn't help.

Last edited:
OP
clemgrad85

clemgrad85

Well....this is why I was giving appropriate time for others to test out the new Firmware. Sounds like some are perfectly fine and others are having issues. I never did install the Feb firmware update as my SP2 was working beautifully. I did, however, install the other updates that recently came out and am noticing no issues at all. Makes no sense that some would have issues and some would not.....go figure....quite annoying. What also doesn't make sense is why MS keeps putting out questionable firmware updates when they don't seem to be working correctly for some. I wonder how long they test these things?

be77solo

Yeah I updated everything yesterday, and now my surface runs hot all the time and the fan is constantly on (when I don't think it ever came on before that)...Any suggestions?

Looking in the task manager "Service Host: Local System (12)" is running about 30% of my processor and 20% of my memory, could that maybe have something to do with it? I've already tried powering down, but that didn't help.
I too am getting the CPU usage problem similar to what you describe with a warm device. Previously it was only when I had a SD card inserted, but now I'm getting the same behavior without a card installed. I have only noticed this yesterday and today after the March updates.
HighCPUSP2.PNG