What's new

What happens to our warranty exchanges?

CrippsCorner

Just a random thing I was thinking about earlier. After we exchange our old Surface products, any idea what happens to them? Maybe they refurbish them and send them out to someone else, or use them for parts etc.

macmee

I have an exchange for my surface ongoing (for a week now...) and I was told the units they send out are taken from stores, from stock that didn't sell.

This is pretty much a lie, I think. There was a Reddit post about how someone's exchange device was worse than their original (cant find link, need coffee).

I'll be keeping both surfaces for several days and making sure the new one they send me is infact in better condition than my current one. If it's not the case then I'm sending the new one back and asking for a third.

Although all I wanted was an exchange for my touch cover, though they think the issue is with the Surface and I disagree...

macmee

Did you exchange the Touch Cover first?

They refused to let me because:

1) I am required to test the cover on another surface first

2) They think my Surface is the problem

I disagree with 2, and I think 1 is stupid. My touch cover is broken and I have to exchange my surface and if my cover is broken on my new surface then I can exchange the cover.

But it's been over a week and my new surface hasn't shipped.

I wish I could return my surface altogether and get a windows tablet from another company. Microsoft should stick to enterprise software because just about every consumer product they release these days ends up being a disaster.

Last edited:

macmee

Don't give up all hope - they're about to complete the acquisition of Nokia, things can only get better :)

Even their support system fails. My support experience thus far has been horrible, and even now I've been on hold for 30 minutes as I'm transferred to a different department, even though I called the exact number I was given to call about this issue...

edit: still on hold by the way, 17 minutes after posting this

edit 2: on hold 53 minutes after posting this, fml

Last edited:
OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

They refused to let me because:

1) I am required to test the cover on another surface first

2) They think my Surface is the problem

I disagree with 2, and I think 1 is stupid. My touch cover is broken and I have to exchange my surface and if my cover is broken on my new surface then I can exchange the cover.

But it's been over a week and my new surface hasn't shipped.

I wish I could return my surface altogether and get a windows tablet from another company. Microsoft should stick to enterprise software because just about every consumer product they release these days ends up being a disaster.

That is pretty stupid of them. Have you still got your old Surface, i.e. 'advance' return? That's what I did and had no problems.

macmee

That is pretty stupid of them. Have you still got your old Surface, i.e. 'advance' return? That's what I did and had no problems.

Yes I still have my old one. It's been like 9 days now and it hasn't shipped yet.

I'm considering calling them today and just asking for a full refund because this is pretty ridiculous. I think I'll buy a Windows 8 tablet from another company or just wait (and hope) that Apple makes a MacBook with a touch screen.

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

If I was leaving the Surface line I'd seriously consider the Chromebook Pixel! Probably not quite there yet as a full computer replacement though. I do like Apple but I've been burned by them before, so tend to avoid them other than my iPhone.

TheCudder

My warranty replacement process was flawless. Tech support was great & very helpful. I chose the "Advanced" replacement option and I had my "new" unit in 4 or 5 days (I forget the exact number of days, but it wasn't long at all). It seemed as if the replacement unit was brand new since it was known fact that MSFT overstocked the original Surface RT --- and if it wasn't, it sure looked as if it was. Could be a different story for those with a Surface Pro/2/Pro 2