What's new

What happens with the recovery partiton after the upgrade?

GoodBytes

I recall Microsoft said during the beta that it gets upgraded. Regardless, you can get the recovery image from Microsoft website for the SP2.
All you need is a flash drive of 8GB, or a partitioned external HDD of 8GB, in FAT32, extract the downloaded image files on the partition, plug it in to the SP2 while turn off, and then follow the instructions on how to execute the recovery process.

OP
S

Spike_Spiegel

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok thank you. My last information was, that the recovery partition is still there but can´t be used with windows 10.
Is there an option to make an recovery partition based on windows 10 (on the surface not on a stick)?
Recovery is changed in Windows 10 to what they call in-place recovery. The recovery enhancements have removed the requirement for a separate recovery image (although you can still make one or use W10 USB media). There's still a separate partition but it's small, 450mb, and only contains a few files. I detail that here.

This was done in part to save space and also to provide a way to remove bloatware installed by those other guys. See... How Windows 10 achieves its compact footprint and Bloatware Banished: Windows 10 Eliminates the Need to Ever Reinstall Windows on New PCs

There was a lot of confusion generated during the preview about the recovery partition, was it upgraded, did it work, etc. I guess part of that is in the preview it was preview and didn't always go as planned :). Still it's a computer and things go wrong so it may still not always go as planned. I did this whole thread after the W10 release so I could understand what was what. In a running log I went thru every option. Additionally using the media creation tool you can create a Windows 10 USB and do a fresh Install or initiate Recovery from that. Options, options, options...

Based on this in-place Recovery method I was not expecting Microsoft to make a Surface Recovery Image and yet they have. Its not present on a new Surface that comes with Windows 10 but you can download it and it includes all the Surface drivers and firmware for a fresh install/recovery. If your Surface came with W8/8.1 this is currently not offered as a download you can only get the image that was factory installed based on serial number. If you do an install from the W10 media it would download drivers from windows update.

I hope that helps clear things up and didn't add to the confusion as there are a lot of parts.

Last edited: