What's new

What I want in a Surface 4 (non Pro)

jrioux

I agree with the general direction of this thread but think that the S4 should have Thunderbolt 3, instead of just USB-C. That would really speed up the charging. I'd probably want it to retain both the standard and micro-USB ports, plus mini DisplayPort. Being lighter and having a larger charge should be top priorities for the design team, but the basic size shouldn't change. Making the screen a little bigger would be nice, but a higher resolution doesn't matter to me. 4 GB should be the minimum and 8 GB an option. Adding Core M options (3, 5 and 7) would be really desireable. If the S3 had Core M, I probably would have chosen it over the SP3.

CrippsCorner

First, let me state I'm really, really hoping they make a Surface 4, because I felt left out of this week's news about the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book. I could buy the Pro 4 if I wanted, but that size remains TOO HUGE to operate as a handheld tablet. I love my Surface 3, but would appreciate similar upgrades that the Pro line is getting: 1) I'd like them to keep the same physical dimensions of the screen while increasing the display size by shrinking the bezel. Get it up to about 11 inches display area. 2) I'd like the new Surface Pen, with the eraser and changeable tips, and magnetically attracted to the tablet side, to come to the S4. 3) And of course, a bit faster processor.

I agree! Love the new devices... but they're not for me really, I'm all about the smaller screens (the Surface Mini would still be the perfect device for me)

I probably would get the Surface Pro 4, because it's more powerful, but I want it the size of Surface 3 ideally. Eagerly awaiting what 2016/17 brings :)

chrisharris00

Has there been any comment by Panay et al about a S4? I too would love a Core M Surface 4 LTE -- buy that in a heartbeat. The 10" form factor is key for those of us who actually want to use these as a tablet, 12" is just too big. The concern I have, is with the strong focus on high-end, premium (so-called 'aspirational' devices) last week such as a 1T, $3k+ Surface Book(!), is there still interest in an under $500, non-pro Surface anymore for students and others who don't need or want all that processing power?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has there been any comment by Panay et al about a S4? I too would love a Core M Surface 4 LTE -- buy that in a heartbeat. The 10" form factor is key for those of us who actually want to use these as a tablet, 12" is just too big. The concern I have, is with the strong focus on high-end, premium (so-called 'aspirational' devices) last week such as a 1T, $3k+ Surface Book(!), is there still interest in an under $500, non-pro Surface anymore for students and others who don't need or want all that processing power?
Has there been any comment by Panay et al about a S4?​
No, and I would expect they will be very tight lipped until they aren't (i.e. until ready to reveal it).

is there still interest in an under $500, non-pro Surface anymore for students and others who don't need or want all that processing power?​
Yes, I think so. Students are always a gateway to your future, to ignore them is to ignore your future. Id expect the Surface non pro entry to continue shining the light for the category of capable home and student focused devices because you know, they have aspirations too not just the rich and professional. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface 3 came out last May, don't expect any updates until Intel has a new ATOM SoC to create a new Halo Device in this category...

revmike

I went to Best Buy today to look at the SP4 and it is a beautiful device, I couldn't do much with it as the pen was gone and just picking it up set off the alarm. All it did was reinforce for me that the 12" screen size is just too big to be used in portrait mode, for those of us who are not looking for a laptop replacement. I was able to really play around with the S3 and I would like to have one, but I'm holding out hope for a S4, but if that fails to happen then S3 it is.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Surface 3 came out last May, don't expect any updates until Intel has a new ATOM SoC to create a new Halo Device in this category...
Obviously the ATOM SoC is limiting the platform capabilities and the Core M would open up greater potential. I haven't seen an A9X benchmark yet but I firmly believe a Skylake Core m will wax the board while the best ATOM Intel has got (or will have) will finish behind the premium ARM SoCs like it does now.

Maybe Intel can really pour the silicon on the ATOM's family :) and take a convincing lead over ARM SoCS but they haven't shown it yet. As much as we all enjoy rooting for the underdog to pull through, I say pull out the big gun and mow em down.

IMO the duo of core m SP4 & S3/4(as yet unannounced) would make for incredibly stiff iPad/iPad Pro/Android Tablet competition with best in class performance.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously the ATOM SoC is limiting the platform capabilities and the Core M would open up greater potential. I haven't seen an A9X benchmark yet but I firmly believe a Skylake Core m will wax the board while the best ATOM Intel has got (or will have) will finish behind the premium ARM SoCs like it does now.

Maybe Intel can really pour the silicon on the ATOM's family :) and take a convincing lead over ARM SoCS but they haven't shown it yet. As much as we all enjoy rooting for the underdog to pull through, I say pull out the big gun and mow em down.

IMO the duo of core m SP4 & S3/4(as yet unannounced) would make for incredibly stiff iPad/iPad Pro/Android Tablet competition with best in class performance.
I don't think we'll see a Core M non-pro device....ATOM will always have better battery life than any Core SoC devices.

chrisharris00

Would you guys think its probably safe to say we won't be seeing any non-Pro Surface 4 for at least 6-8 months?(Have my eye on a S3 LTE is why, but in big no hurry).

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would you guys think its probably safe to say we won't be seeing any non-Pro Surface 4 for at least 6-8 months?(Have my eye on a S3 LTE is why, but in big no hurry).
Short answer: It's a reasonable assumption given that the S3 is only six months old (not even) and I haven't herd a peep or rumor about a new ATOM CPU being released especially if jnjroach is correct that it will only ever have ATOM CPUs. Maybe Intel will surprise us with the ultimate ARM killer ATOM SoC.

Long answer:
I know he would be crucified if he divulged any inside information, if he had any, so not looking for too much there... :)

For me I can only guess based on having my ear to the ground and hope for more than sticking to what everyone expects.

On the one hand you risk upsetting people that bought the S3 if they release a new model too quickly. On the other hand, this has always been a fast moving industry and people want the latest available from whoever will give it to them. Technically a core m in the S3 body is doable and as far as battery goes it doesn't appear to me that every ounce of space was used up by battery. You could cut weight other places if needed by switching to USB-C, going thinner, using SP4 style thinner display stack. Etc. Another reason for charging ahead ... when you get momentum you want to keep it going and you want to keep the competition on their heels. conversely too many releases too close together isn't good and spreading them out will help keep the positive buzz going over a longer period.

Generally Microsoft is really fairly conservative with this stuff, I think, so it's not likely I'll be getting my wish but... Microsoft has been turning over a new leaf lately and could hopefully have more surprises up it's sleeve. If they just listened to me... they would be kicking Apple's backside with these things. :)

Tuggen

Make it smaller and lighter is most important. I have carefully looked at Surface 3 and I think they can take 5mm from each side keeping the screen same size. Actually it should be possible to take off more but the type cover key size will set the limit.
So dimensions 25.7cm x 17.7cm.

Take 100g off the weight and somewhat thinner. Probably full size USB port and minidisplay will not fit so replace them with 2 type C supporting USB 3.1 and charging. Add an adapter type C to miniDP and fullsize USB in package.

It would have been nice with core M3 but problem is that it is extremely more expensive than Atom CPU. Still I think due to improved feature set Core M is neccesary if Intel doesn't significantly improve features to next generation Atom which is probably not going to happen. No more eMMC and better virtualization support.