What's new

What if Microsoft had waited?

ScottyS

If the first group to test it are the canaries, then we must be pigeons.
upload_2016-5-22_5-20-10.png

robertcan

MS does not value the customer experience as much as we do. Smart people work at MS. People who clearly made a decision to prioritize time and cost over quality.

rubaxter

As a survivor who bought right out of the gate; then struggled with a Surface Pro 4; and finally came back to a Surface Book three weeks ago, I agree with @Niterider4 in that MS may have permanently lost some users because of the struggle to get the new Surfaces right.

But for me, it has been worth it, as the Surface Book is the Windows MacBook Pro I've always wanted.

Funny, but my MacBook Pro with emulator is the Windows 10 laptop I've always wanted... with OSX there, too. Palmed off the SB to the person the MacBook Pro was donated to and went back to a reliable laptop.

But, after the debacle of the original Windows RT tablet and sd cards being yet another iteration of 'we lied about the expansion capabilities and YOU will have to system level program to get it to work' I really should have know better than to trust MS on a Version 1 of ANYTHING.

SeanP

I am being sent the newest MacBook. I am willing to take that device, despite the lack of ports, for something that will work. I used a MacAir in 2012 with Office and it worked FLAWLESSLY. No issues for me at all.

While this machine is an excellent looking piece of hardware, it's now a $2500 paperweight and MS will never get another dime from me or anyone in my company (I handle all the sales enablement tools) EVER.

I'll let me kids use this to watch videos since that appears to be about the only thing this is good for today.

tdf2001

In my mind Microsoft did make the conscious decision to push out the device early despite the known, significant issues. While there may be very good corporate and competitive reasons, I caused me personally many hours of frustration. I feel strongest that MS did not acknowledge any of these issues and provided no public plan to get them addressed. They chose to silently fix things. This is unacceptable to me and has changed my view of the company for the (far) worse.

dstrauss

I don't know guys (and gals) - I hear all the time about how "flawless" Mac's are (and my daughter has had great success with the original black MacBook, MacBook Air, and now MacBook Pro), what self-respecting engineer could EVER release a computer that could not be connected to a monitor and power supply at the same time - I don't care how "superior" the MacBook designers believe they are, and everything should be stored in the cloud or used wirelessly, that one factor alone is a major league fail in anyone's book. Then they BRAZENLY repeated it with v.2.

And don't get me wrong, I'll probably NEVER believe another representation from Panay (he claimed he could close his Surface Book and not lose any power - I know of NO ONE that could do that with the released devices without extreme battery drain and/or hot bagging).

Orlbuckeye

Well the timing was perfect as the OEM are releasing Surface like devices with pens, touch and tablet and laptop capabilities. MS still makes money from a competing device since it will have Windows also.

dstrauss

After unending heartache with the Surface Book, dock, and two external (WQHD) monitors, I traded "down" to a Surface Pro 4, and it is rock solid on video and sleep - only took five tries (two SB's and three SP4's) and eight months of updates and upgrades to get a stable system...good thing no new Surface expected until 2017.