What's new

What keyboard do you use?

Orren

I've been looking at keyboards for the Surface Pro 2. Ideally I'd like the type cover 2 but it's not cheap. I could go all out and get it but I feel £110 is too much for any keyboard so I'm looking at Bluetooth ones. What keyboard do you use? Is there something better than the type 2 or is that the best?

On a side note I noticed you can't play Skyrim without a keyboard as when you use the controller it's impossible to name your character without a keyboard attached (at least that's what I've found).

I was using the type cover 2 until recently. I returned it because it's buggy, has a terrible mousepad, and I'm using the SP mostly as a tablet at the moment. (Oh yeah it's overpriced too, but if you need it you need it..)

But having said that, if it works for you, the way it integrates with the SP is really nice. Obviously there is nothing else that attaches the same way and can sleep the machine or turn off the keys when you have it folded backwards. It's actually a clever idea, I just wish they would improve the touchpad.

I am looking forward to the power cover though assuming that they improve the touchpad too. It would be nice to get a lot more battery time out of my SP1.

As for other keyboards, I don't know of any that are bluetooth with a touchpad. So you'll probably end up with a bluetooth keyboard and a separate bluetooth mouse. Do you want to lug all that around? How portable do you need to be? For just the keyboard, the bluetooth logitech keyboard is quite nice:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099SMFVQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What makes the Touch 2 or Type 2 the best options is you don't need to carry any additional kit with you. I personally have switched to the Touch 2 on both of my devices....gave my Type 2 to my son.

OP
O

Orren

Thanks for the replies!

I think a good track pad isn't really needed as much due to the touch screen. I tried the Touch 2 but I prefer the feedback of the Type 2, maybe with time I could get used to it.

Also with the way the stand works I feel the whole connection thing doesn't really add much to it when you are using it, however when carrying it, it is nice. I have been looking around for a case with a keyboard in it but since it's not an iPad and I live in the UK my choices are very limited.

lparsons21

Thanks for the replies!

I think a good track pad isn't really needed as much due to the touch screen. I tried the Touch 2 but I prefer the feedback of the Type 2, maybe with time I could get used to it.

Also with the way the stand works I feel the whole connection thing doesn't really add much to it when you are using it, however when carrying it, it is nice. I have been looking around for a case with a keyboard in it but since it's not an iPad and I live in the UK my choices are very limited.

There are some cases with bluetooth keyboards that have trackpads on Amazon in the US, don't know if they exist on the UK version of Amazon though.

That said, I tried a bluetooth keyboard that I had laying around and found it a bit laggy in response with the Surface Pro. Same keyboard with my Mac and AppleTV doesn't seem laggy at all.

Well one practical aspect that may not be obvious is that the attached keyboard adds a LOT to the stability of it because the bottom of the covers are textured and grippy. For example, when using on an incline on a plastic surface, the SP with the kickstand open has no traction and will just slip off, with the attached cover it can stay on until pretty good angles (eventually the SP wil flop over).

For example, on an airplane with the SP on it's kickstand on a tray, it will probably slip around a lot because the only friction comes from the metal at the bottom. The attached cover would keep the thing from sliding around.

OP
O

Orren

Well one practical aspect that may not be obvious is that the attached keyboard adds a LOT to the stability of it because the bottom of the covers are textured and grippy. For example, when using on an incline on a plastic surface, the SP with the kickstand open has no traction and will just slip off, with the attached cover it can stay on until pretty good angles (eventually the SP wil flop over).

For example, on an airplane with the SP on it's kickstand on a tray, it will probably slip around a lot because the only friction comes from the metal at the bottom. The attached cover would keep the thing from sliding around.

Very true, didn't think of that!

CrippsCorner

There are some cases with bluetooth keyboards that have trackpads on Amazon in the US, don't know if they exist on the UK version of Amazon though.

That said, I tried a bluetooth keyboard that I had laying around and found it a bit laggy in response with the Surface Pro. Same keyboard with my Mac and AppleTV doesn't seem laggy at all.

Anything that involves lagging bluetooth devices is usually down to a conflict with Wi-Fi. If you have a dual band router, try setting the Surface to connecting to the 5GHz connection. This fixed everything for me.

eelpout

type cover 2 purple ^.^

Ditto. Beyond silly trackpad. No two tap drag capability? Bah. I hope it goes out the door with Mr. Balmer.

I'm assuming Apple has a patent lock on their glass trackpad, which is why no one can duplicate it. The Logitech T650 touch pad is actually pretty nice though. I'm considering taking it and my BT Logitech keyboard with me next time on the road instead of the TC 2. If Logitech could squeeze the two into one more portable unit, they'd sell tons of them to Surface Pro users.

Speaking of which, has any third party made anything that uses the dock connector on the SP?

daniielrp

The Wedge Keyboard is supposed to be pretty good and it's cover doubles as a tablet stand - not a bad idea as it stops the slipping! I've been thinking of getting one as there not as bad price (and I can get one a bit cheaper :p) and they do actually seem really good.

mk_wmk_blk_large2.jpg

This combined with a decent BT mouse would be great :D

bertopl

I use the wedge keyboard with an arc mouse when it's docked. I like the feel of the keyboard even though it's small. seems solidly built. the tiny arrow keys are the only keys that bother me for now but I've only had it for about a week now. I use a type cover 2 & wedge mouse when out, not a big stretch adapting between the two keyboards imo.