What's new

What kind of speed copying to microSD card are you getting?

yeewiz

I've got a SP2 512 and a 64GB SanDisk Ultra microSD card. I copied a video file from an external USB drive to the internal hard drive and then copied from the USB drive to the microSD card. I was surprised the speed of the copy to the microSD card was about 4x slower than to the internal drive. Is this about what you guys are experiencing? I'll do some actual timing tests but thought I'd get a quick idea first from you guys. Thanks

GypsyMoth

May not be applicable to a large video file, but I have had issues with speed when using exFat formatted SD cards under specific conditions. I have a few vehicle workshop manuals that contain a significant number of very small files. For my needs I simply formatted the SD card NTFS and performance significantly improved. I understand that NTFS won't be compatible with my Android devices (and other systems) however this isn't a concern for me; also please understand that for almost all normal sized files there will not be any throughput improvement.

OP
Y

yeewiz

Try the Extreme Plus, blazing fast

I've got one on order so when I get it, I'll run some tests and post the results here. I actually ordered the Extreme Plus for another reason too. I've discovered if I copy large mp4 files to the Ultra card, the files will be corrupted. The Extreme Plus will tell me if my Ultra SD card is bad, or, worse, my SP2 is defective. Luckily, I'm still under warranty.

OP
Y

yeewiz

Well, received the Extreme Plus and ran a few tests. I picked 2 mp4 files with total size of about 3.3GB located on an external USB 2.0 drive connected to the SP2's USB port. First I copied the 2 mp4 files to the internal drive of the SP2. Then I copied to the SanDisk Ultra microSD card in the SP2. Finally I copied to the SanDisk Extreme Plus microSD card in the SP2. Both SD cards formatted with exFAT. Here are the average times for 2 runs each recorded:
Internal drive: 1:44 (minutes:secs)
SanDisk Ultra: 16:39
SanDisk Extreme Plus: 1:45

I suspected the Ultra card was defective when I posted the first post in this thread. In addition to the extraordinary slow write performance, both mp4 files were corrupted too. I'd been having other corruption issues with this card so it was good to document this versus the Extreme Plus. No corruption for the Extreme Plus. The Ultra's are supposed to be 30MB/s and the Extreme Plus 80MB/s, but clearly the Ultra in this case wasn't even close.

In a 2nd set of tests, I copied 162 image files totaling about 4GB to the same 3 targets as in the first tests. Here are the average times for 2 runs:
Internal drive: 1:43
Ultra: Failed to finish due to file or folder corruption both times
Extreme Plus: 1:53

Bottom line: The biggest surprise was the speed of the Extreme Plus card. Almost as fast as the internal drive. Benjitek, you were really right, they are blazing fast. Thanks! :D

Last edited: