What's new

What Phone are you pairing with your SP3?

What Phone are you using with your Surface Pro 3?

• iPhone 6/6+

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Older iPhone

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Galaxy Note 1/2/3(4)

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Any HTC

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Samsung S3/4/5

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Any LG

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Any Windows phone

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Any Blackberry phone

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • One Plus One

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Any Sony phone

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Any Nexus Phone

Votes: 4 7.0%

• Total voters

Telstar1948

On my third SP3 now (third time's the charm?) - and currently using the Blackberry Passport with it's Blend program.

Does Blend simply give you access to BB stuff? What about your MS email, contacts, favorites, calendar? Does it sync any of that with your Passport?

wynand32

I don't have mine paired but am enjoying using the same OS for it's sync capabilities between the SP3 apps and my Windows phone apps. Tweetium, Nextgen Reader, Package Tracker ect. all keep the data in perfect unison between the 2 devices.

Agreed. Universal apps, contrary to bringing "crap Windows Phone" apps to tablets, enables an incredibly powerful platform for making superior apps that perform similarly but leverage all form factors, while syncing between them. Tweetium and Nextgen Reader are definitely two great examples.
Tweetium in particular works great on a phone and on the SP3--snap it to its minimum size on Windows 8.1., and it's essentially exactly the same UI, so it's very familiar. But, it can still be expanded and take advantage of a larger screen.

I think if anything is going to make Windows Phone successful (say, at least 10% market share), it'll be universal apps and the ability to make great apps that can run on so many different platforms. Seriously, once Windows 10 is running on a billion or so Windows machines (and whatever tens of millions of phones) and with very little extra work to make a Windows Phone version of an app, we'll see many, many more apps on the latter, I predict. Suddenly, the numbers will make a great deal of sense where they might not right now.

Knuck

Have a Lumia 1520, great phone if you can handle big. Not sure how well Apple and Android sync with the SP3 but the Nokia syncs calendar, OneNote etc. seamlessly.

annabanana

Question, how do have Bluetooth turned on for SP3 but not discoverable to other devices besides the ones it's already paired with? I don't see a setting for that.

macmee

Wow there's a lot of windows phone users here.

I'm on an iPhone 5s (iOS developer) but I love Android and the Nexus 5 too which I used to pair sometimes for tethering.

Would love to try a Windows phone but don't know where to start.

Crimson Idol 8

I'm on an iPhone 5s (iOS developer) but I love Android and the Nexus 5 too which I used to pair sometimes for tethering.

Go grab one of the cheapies to play around with. :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member

Could do what I did and try a cheap windows phone to just test out the interface/apps. I bought a Lumia 635 while I was using my Nexus 4, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, so that's why I decided to try a 930.

There ARE drawbacks, most significantly for me the lack of decent Facebook app - I've tried the latest beta but it's still not a patch on the android version. I can't manage my facebook page or groups using the app and there's other limitations that are quite annoying. But I'm hopeful that if the user-base increases then the apps will improve. I can just about cope with using the browser if I have to.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go grab one of the cheapies to play around with. :)
I guess that depends on your intended purpose... The 520 is currently the most prevalent WP according to wpcentral followed by the 620 then 920. I believe the 520/620 are the low end cheapies as well. it seems tiers are logically numbered 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the UK the 635 was £120 including £10 credit, but the non-4G versions are abour £80-90 sim free..

It's a darn good little phone (Well other than that the screen on mine stopped working 3 weeks after I got it) in fact, it's just lacking a few features, such as front camera and flash, and the screen is a little low res. If they did a similar model with the above features added it'd probably be a good seller, as there's a jump in price and size in the line up the moment.

Ms.Dos

What do you mean by "pairing"? I have a phone and a tablet. They are both connected to the cloud. End of story. Why would I ever want to "pair" them to each other? That sounds like a pile of messy compatibility headaches.