What's new

What programs would you want on your RT

Inadorel

I've a RT and a Pro. I got thinking about what the killer features there are on the Pro which make me prepared to carry around a heavier device with a shorter battery life. For me in order - the stuff I use on my Pro which I would like to see implemented for the RT:

Outlook
A decent VPN client
Visual Studio

What would be peoples' top three requests?

kristalsoldier

Well, I only have the RT, which is 99% of the time adequate for my needs. That said, I would like to have the following which, I think, would make it a perfect machine for me:

A very capable and robust Mail client - could be Outlook, but not necessarily so. It should, however, be integrated with a/ the Calendar app. In this connection, I have been looking at TouchMail and that looks very interesting too - though I am not sure if it is integrated with a Calendar!

VLC - I believe a VLC app for RT is on the cards.

Another browser - while IE is quite good on the RT, another browser (particularly on the Modern UI side of things) would good to have - if not, on the desktop would be OK too.

Edit:

Ideally, I would also like some of the apps that businesses release - like those by airline companies, banks etc. - to be designed for the RT. But I am not sure if that is covered by your post. If yes, then for sure I want a Barclays banking app. I would also like a few apps for a couple of hotel chains and airlines that I use often when traveling.

Last edited:

DOS

I have a Surface Pro, but the app I really would like to see should work on both the Pro and RT... A Live Tile Battery Monitor.

Tom T

I have a Surface Pro, but the app I really would like to see should work on both the Pro and RT... A Live Tile Battery Monitor.

That is a good one, with all the battery widgets for Android out there I'm surprised we haven't seen one yet.

J515OP

Super Moderator
That is a good one, with all the battery widgets for Android out there I'm surprised we haven't seen one yet.

I don't think MS provides the APIs to do this. Why I have no idea but it would be greatly welcome.

machistmo

Hold onto to your RT's, they will be collectors items. NO VPN, NO OUTLOOK, NO DEAL. On the upside mine ran the JudgeDread vs Zombies game really well with the Tegra3.

T3Jn

Strava and The Times would be my top choices. Originally I too thought Outlook, but find the built in apps fine for my 2 exchange accounts and Gmail. However I still use a desktop day to day, so would probably install Outlook if it was my primary device. So +1 for outlook.

Battery tile would be a nice touch, however don't seem to spend that long looking at the live tiles, getting used to the charm swipe to check levels.

Just been playing with the screen split... ability to have the start screen as a narrow split on the left/right would be pretty cool with live tiles always there "living it up".