What's new

What Surface Pro improvements would you like to see in Windows Blue?

Intangir

Windows Blue is the codename for Windows 9 (supposedly) and the alpha has already been leaked online.

What improvements would you like to see in it to improve your experience on the Surface Pro?
Personally I would like a setting in windows (w/o the need for 3rd party apps) to turn off the display when the power button is pushed, but to keep the tablet running in a low power mode (limit cpu use to something like 15%), so that we can listen to music while the tablet is closed.
Customization of the virtual keyboard would be nice as well.

mitchellvii

I would like to have the following:

1) Give me the option to have the keyboard autopopup when I enter a text field.
2) Make the keyboard autocorrect more accurate. Coming from an IPad it is pretty horrible by comparison.
3) Include a mic key on the keyboard for verbal dictation.
4) Allow me to set my fans to always run at about 7500 rpm. I don't mind the sound and this sucker gets hot.
5) Put the damned Start Button back.

OP
I

Intangir

I couldn't agree more with 2, 4 and 5
When my Pro is plugged in, I would like to have fan speeds accessible. The autocorrect s pretty bad on the pro. I came from Android, and some of the keyboard apps had amazingly intuitive autocorrects and word predictions. The predictions on the pro typically come up as I am near done spelling anyway, and it rarely tries to guess the next word. And the Start button, yeah I miss that. Trying to right click the bottom left of the screen with touch is pretty annoying.

mitchellvii

I couldn't agree more with 2, 4 and 5
When my Pro is plugged in, I would like to have fan speeds accessible. The autocorrect s pretty bad on the pro. I came from Android, and some of the keyboard apps had amazingly intuitive autocorrects and word predictions. The predictions on the pro typically come up as I am near done spelling anyway, and it rarely tries to guess the next word. And the Start button, yeah I miss that. Trying to right click the bottom left of the screen with touch is pretty annoying.

In case you weren't aware you can download an app called Start8 from Stardock for about $5 that fully replaces the Start Button. Still MS should just accept that getting rid of the Start Button was a HUGE MISTAKE and put it back.

OP
I

Intangir

I used to run a similar freeware program of that on my PC before I downgraded it back to W7. It worked very well, but I still wish it was already integrated by MS

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Blue isn't Windows 9 it is more Akin to Windows 8 R2 and the improvement that you're looking for requires the ability to go into Connected Standby (S0iX) and that can't happen until Haswell as Ivy Bridge isn't S0iX compliant.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There already is a BT toggle. Settings -> PC Settings -> Wireless. Has toggles for Airplane mode, BT and Wifi
That turns off both, if all you want to do is turn off Bluetooth; Swipe to bring up the Charms Menu....Settings.....PC Settings....Wireless

tonyz3

Lol. Thanks I knew this. My bad I meant any easier one. Like something you can pin to the start tap on/off.