What's new

What the Surface Pro 2 will be competing against...

malberttoo

They better get their act together with the Surface Pro 2 because the competition is NOT messing around:

Mystery 13-inch Sony Ultrabook slider pops up in horribly grainy YouTube video

[video=youtube;orzuj17Ta5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=orzuj17Ta5k[/video]

If Sony can manage to bring this in around $1200 it is gonna be tough to beat. If it starts at $1500 like the Helix then not so much direct competition to the Surface Pro 2 (However, someone who will pay $1200 for a tablet/ultrabook can afford $1500). If this is the direction things are going - super thin and light, powerful sliders with full HD and a digital pen it's gonna get interesting out there.

P.S., Notice the better kickstand angle. :)

This looks MUCH thinner than the Duo 11. Also notice the 5 rows of tiles in Modern UI. IMHO it is going to take devices like these for Windows 8 to win acceptance in the Enterprise Space.

At 13", this really puts it in a different category than the Surface. I don't see it is a direct competitor at all.

Agave Azul

I am quite fond of almost ALL Sony products.
Every one that I've owned has been good in almost every aspect.

I looked at the 1500.00 Sony Tablet that folds up showing the keyboard.
Multiple ports, HDMI etc etc.

I just couldnt bring myself to paying that much for such a nice item that I will be carrying with me eveywhere.

I am desperate to purchase the Surface Pro.
All I am waiting on is the new 2013 Haswell or Atom chips.
Microsoft does most eveything I need.

I have an i5 cellphone, but I wont be buying their iPad.

mph

Boy, MSFT finally decided to bring ithe SFPro to Germany.

Although it feels dated, i guess i HAVE to buyit after all the waiting.
knowing there might be a pro2 round the corner doesnt help my case going through with it :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Boy, MSFT finally decided to bring ithe SFPro to Germany.

Although it feels dated, i guess i HAVE to buyit after all the waiting.
knowing there might be a pro2 round the corner doesnt help my case going through with it :(

If it makes you feel any better about buying now the Pro 2 probably wont be available in Germany until May/June of 2014. That is quite a long way away and plenty of time to get to know v1 ;) Of course if you need v2 specs then waiting is probably the better option.

TagsxA

If you are looking for a tablet that can be an ultrabook occasionally this might not be your best choice. If you are looking for an ultrabook that can be a tablet occasionally this may be for you. I personally fall into the second camp

Although I don't agree with you stating that 170ppi is plenty (every OTHER device I own has a retina display), I definitely agree with the statement I quoted above. Although I could live with a larger 1080p screen than the SP has, I would do everything I could to not have to do that. The one thing I'm very pleased with is how many options there are, for people like me that want a very specific type of product.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I wonder whatever happened to color e-ink? Promising light weight and weeks of battery life I always expected that to take off for consumption and note-taking. There were prototypes which looked quite interesting but they all ended up being vapor-ware.

Here's interesting article about it:

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/defau...ws=color+ereader+qualcomm+mirasol+eink+triton

They seem to think the fact LCD panels became so cheap killed color e-ink. Also e-ink's slow refresh rates. But it sure would be awesome for reading in the sunlight where my SP is pretty much useless.

Last edited:

DOS

Sony is coming out with a 13.3 inch e-ink super lightweight display with pen this year that will be awesome if all you are looking for is a note-taking, .pdf annotation device. I will get one. It will be exactly the same size as a piece of notebook paper and have 3 weeks battery life. If it works with OneNote (doubtful) I will be in heaven.

Sony e-Ink Prototype A4 Digital Notepad Demonstrated (video) | Geeky Gadgets

This does look promising... What kind of price are you guessing?

mph

If it makes you feel any better about buying now the Pro 2 probably wont be available in Germany until May/June of 2014. That is quite a long way away and plenty of time to get to know v1 ;) Of course if you need v2 specs then waiting is probably the better option.

yeah thats right - it's been apain seeing the chinese getting it before europe
who ever dvised MS to "approach a phased launch" should be punished as harshly als humanly possible ;)

J515OP

Super Moderator
I wonder whatever happened to color e-ink? Promising light weight and weeks of battery life I always expected that to take off for consumption and note-taking. There were prototypes which looked quite interesting but they all ended up being vapor-ware.

Here's interesting article about it:

Whatever Happened to the Color eReader?

They seem to think the fact LCD panels became so cheap killed color e-ink. Also e-ink's slow refresh rates. But it sure would be awesome for reading in the sunlight where my SP is pretty much useless.

Another more recent article Qualcomm Mirasol Screen Technology ? What went Wrong? | Good E-Reader - eBooks, Publishing and Comic News