What's new

what to do in the next 2 weeks?

ultra99

I'm about to buy the Surface Pro n the next 2 weeks, but from all the speculations and talk around I don't know what to do. Should I go for it or is there anything coming up?

kristalsoldier

I'm about to buy the Surface Pro n the next 2 weeks, but from all the speculations and talk around I don't know what to do. Should I go for it or is there anything coming up?

In the tech world, isn't there something always coming up? If not in 2 weeks, in 2 months, or in 6 months?

OP
U

ultra99

Speculations around here, to be honest. Couldn't find any information on the Web. I know there's always something around the corner, but wondered if there any announcements of any kind in the coming 2-4 weeks max.

I think I'll just get the Pro and live with it. But it'd be extremely annoying to see Haswell Surface pops out. I just don't like how the pen is placed. 5hrs battery for me is OK for me... I think..

CrippsCorner

Go for it, you'll always be waiting otherwise! The main rumour atm seems to be for a Surface Mini (around 7" or 8") so think about what you want... is that too small? Then it's probably not worth you waiting away.

OP
U

ultra99

Go for it, you'll always be waiting otherwise! The main rumour atm seems to be for a Surface Mini (around 7" or 8") so think about what you want... is that too small? Then it's probably not worth you waiting away.

wow, this is news to me, 7" or 8", nah not my type! Guess I'll go for the Pro now. They have a nice bundle atm for $1,138. I think it's a good deal.

MickeyLittle

I went a different route as I'm expecting spring 2014 to see some Windows 8 tablet powered like the Pro but lighter and longer battery. So I bought my Pro on ebay about 2 months ago for $775 and that included the better keyboard and an extra charger. I feel like next spring/summer I'll still be able to get $500-$700 on it on ebay and not really lose out. But if I had dropped the $1100-$1200 and then struggled next spring to get $700 back that would have been a tough pill to swallow for me.

mitchellvii

Don't hold your breath waiting for a Haswell SP. No time soon if ever.

However, there are competing non-Haswell devices such as the Sony Duo ($1200 - on sale at BestBuy) and Haswell devices such as the Dell XPS 11 ($1200+?) and Samsung ATIV Q ($1500) you may wish to consider as well before pulling the trigger on a SP. Sony Duo out now, ATIV Q very soon and XPS 11 at the holidays.

** Sony Duo is same price as SP 128, has 2 GB more ram, 1920 x 1080 11.6 inch ips screen, full backlit keyboard and 2 usb 3.0 ports and a pen. Unless you are in love with the SP design, this is a better bit of kit for the same money (too bad isn't Haswell, c'mon Sony!). It does weigh about .4 pounds more if that's a big deal. It's devices like this that tell me MS needs to cut their price on the SP or include the keyboard and a year of Office. Right now, for the same money this is clearly a better device.

Last edited:

jwatt

I kinda had the same thoughts but I just bought the 256GB version and doubt I'll look back. I'd say go for it if you like the product.

Telstar1948

Don't hold your breath waiting for a Haswell SP. No time soon if ever.

However, there are competing non-Haswell devices such as the Sony Duo ($1200 - on sale at BestBuy) and Haswell devices such as the Dell XPS 11 ($1200+?) and Samsung ATIV Q ($1500) you may wish to consider as well before pulling the trigger on a SP. Sony Duo out now, ATIV Q very soon and XPS 11 at the holidays.

** Sony Duo is same price as SP 128, has 2 GB more ram, 1920 x 1080 11.6 inch ips screen, full backlit keyboard and 2 usb 3.0 ports and a pen. Unless you are in love with the SP design, this is a better bit of kit for the same money (too bad isn't Haswell, c'mon Sony!). It does weigh about .4 pounds more if that's a big deal. It's devices like this that tell me MS needs to cut their price on the SP or include the keyboard and a year of Office. Right now, for the same money this is clearly a better device.

Check this out:

Sony VAIO SVD1121BPXB Ultrabook/Tablet - 11.6" - Intel Core i7 1.90 GHz - Black - product details - Bing Shopping

It's under $900, free shipping, i7 & 8 GB RAM & 256 GB SSD

Last edited:

machistmo

Well the point Telstar1948 is trying to make, I think, is that there are some nice UltraBooks out there that might do better at the same price point.