What's new

What to make of the thermal complaints

InspectHerGadget

I would say that a little information can be dangerous to your mind.

Well, I have seen my share of laptops, many i7 ones that run so hot when doing practically anything that they are uncomfortable in the lap and sometimes will overheat and shutdown.

As you say, the problem has been around for a while.

The Surface Pro 3 definitely does run hotter than the Surface Pro 2 though most of the time with normal use there is pretty well no heat generated or not much, even with my i7. In that regard it is a big improvement.

The SP3 though is a big target like Apple products so iPhones bend and the SP3 overheats, melts itself and is useless.

OP
A

Alexander

I think there is some level of irrationality at play here. We do not need to compare the surface 3 to "vintage laptops" because that would be daft. We can compare it to the surface 2

The 3 is thinner and has a bigger screen, but it is slower and it heats up more easily. I have a surface 2, and it is more robust than the 3. The 3 is a step backwards in many ways.

I know some people might hate blanket statements and then in the same breath talk about how they use the surface to do "A LOT". But the surface 3 cannot in fact do A LOT. It cannot handle heavy sustained CPU and GPU usage. For video editing, light cad design and compiling the surface is worse than the 2. It does do photoshop fairly well though.

What I do on my plain i7 Asus laptop I cannot do on my surface. It is just not quite up to the job. For office applications, browsing...generalized things the surface does well and is convenient.

InspectHerGadget

I think there is some level of irrationality at play here. We do not need to compare the surface 3 to "vintage laptops" because that would be daft. We can compare it to the surface 2

The 3 is thinner and has a bigger screen, but it is slower and it heats up more easily. I have a surface 2, and it is more robust than the 3. The 3 is a step backwards in many ways.

I know some people might hate blanket statements and then in the same breath talk about how they use the surface to do "A LOT". But the surface 3 cannot in fact do A LOT. It cannot handle heavy sustained CPU and GPU usage. For video editing, light cad design and compiling the surface is worse than the 2. It does do photoshop fairly well though.

What I do on my plain i7 Asus laptop I cannot do on my surface. It is just not quite up to the job. For office applications, browsing...generalized things the surface does well and is convenient.

The Surface is obviously not ideal for you but really I wonder why you are complaining. I have had two i7s and have even tested it on doing huge photo conversions using Lightshop where the CPU is working very hard with no issues, yest it got warmish but never a problem.

It is hard for me to imagine a scenario where the heat really is a serious issue for most users.

It sounds like you got a dud as the things you mention shouldn't be a big deal for the Surface 3 and other users have coped just fine doing these same things (including myself).

It just takes substandard bonding between the CPU and the heatsink to get the sort of out of spec behaviour you are complaining of.

Send it back, or sell it and buy something else. You just keep going on about something that is simply a non issue for most users on this forum.

hadrian

Don't know you are being so rude. I am glad you can do photo conversions, good for you! But one does need to consider facts. Also, you need to have experience w the surface 2.

I think you might not really fully understand what I am talking about either because you don't want to or bc you do not enjoy the requisite capacity. In either case, you need to learn maturity and grow up to be a good boy.

InspectHerGadget

You're trolling this forum and I'm not the first one to have a piece of you.

Remember that there is general agreement that the SP3 is not a great gaming machine when the CPU and graphics are both flat out although many users seem happy enough playing games also as have a few reviewers, without any real issues.

Throttling has happened to all processors but yes, the SP2 is better in this respect and until last Friday I had both.

I find for video editing and photo conversions and even where I did stress tests on the CPU, I had no issues with excessive heat although yes, it does get hotter than the SP2 and does throttle somewhat more.

If you really are getting serious issues with heat, not just some throttling, which is normal and expected then yes, sell it to someone or get it replaced, it isn't normal.

Last edited:

hadrian

I do not think heat was ever mentioned as the main issue with the SP3. Performance in general is the issue. Also, no mention of gaming. You are unnecessarily confrontational and given your confusion need to take a minute and try to process your thoughts.

I am glad you r suddenly aware of the SP2 performance vs SP3, but it isn't quite so simple. You clearly haven't used both machines at all or in the same manner. Also, I doubt you are the sort of computing needs that would tax a sp3, which is why you think that rationality is on par with trolling. And it is excellent that you are able to stress test the CPU.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If something can replace some things but not all things is it fair to say it can replace that thing. Well it doesn't really mater what you think because that standard has already been set. It's a fair claim.

Anyway you started with a silly question but now seem to have some other agenda which appears to be pointless. The SP2 is DEAD, not being made anymore, killed by poor sales and market demand, all the whining or tea in china wont bring it back because not enough people wanted it in the first place.

Despite your perceptions others are happy with the SP3 doing the same tasks. If it does not live up to your expectations you should probably look elsewhere because the die is cast it wont change drastically. Many others have expressed their satisfaction so you can agree to disagree and move on or keep thrashing a dead horse.

Perception is reality but who's perception and what is reality.