What's new

What updates/ Firmware updates etc you've installed/ recommend & what issues have they fixed/ not?

xbliss

What updates/ Firmware updates etc you've installed/ recommend & what issues have they fixed/ not?

I just got an SP3 thats dated 2014 (Costco Stock)

I googled around and found a bunch of stuff about WiFi/ Bluetooth etc. I haven't migrated onto it yet before I patch some of the known/ existing issues/ stuff.

PPS: I wasnt able to get the PEN to Sync with SP3 at the beginning or discover/ pair over Bluetooth later.

On That Note: Now for some reason I cant find how/ where I can access Bluetooth and pair a BT Mouse (Where is that?)

leeshor

If you haven't applied all the standard updates now is the time for a start. Update, reboot and update until there are no more updates.

Nobody can solve any problems until your system is updated. That's the first thing most people will ask, are you patched?

OP
X

xbliss

If you haven't applied all the standard updates now is the time for a start. Update, reboot and update until there are no more updates.

Nobody can solve any problems until your system is updated. That's the first thing most people will ask, are you patched?

Leeshor - Sometimes MS updates & patches have messed up my systems more than they have fixed. So before I go down to Windows Update and install everything blindly, I like to ask which Updates/ Patches are "working better" or some that make things worse or cause BSODs or additional issues.

I dont mind hand picking the updates and doing only the right ones.

In the Thinkpad world and having spent more than a decade on Thinkpad Forums and various other hardware (HP/Compaq/Dell). My experience with updating has become rather cautious. Some times these things mess things up more than they fix it.

An example from the past; Thinkpad Power Manager became worse and more bloated and crappy looking after a certain version of it. Not sure if it was lenovo influence or advent of newer windows at the time.

So people went around the forum discussing and asking which was the last reliable older version of TPM.

Another example from the forums:
http://www.surfaceforums.net/thread...nternet-issues-here.10321/page-15#post-127720

leeshor

@xbliss You'll be safe to do 2 things, ignore the optional updates and only apply the other updates the 4th or 1st week of the month. I support nearly 500 systems in the field and updating that way has never caused any problems, ZERO. It's the bad updates that Microsoft has issued with minimal regression testing that have caught people by surprise and then only with certain other software installed, and even then it has happened only infrequently.

The only update problems I have had on customer systems were the ones I'm not in charge of updating, but they weren't following my suggestion. On a new system you can apply all the updates. It's when other software has been installed where you can run into trouble and only if you apply them within a week after patch Tuesday. It sometimes takes Microsoft that long to pull a bad patch.

If things were as you commented on in your first paragraph I would have been out of business long ago.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
As above. I just installed every update thrown at my surface other than the optional ones, an nothing went awry, nope, things just got better.

bluegrass

I always do all the updates as they become available and have never had a problem. I'm only supporting 10 Surfaces now where I work. I wouldn't hesitate to do all updates to my own Surface Pro 3 i7. As a matter of fact I installed the 6/23/2015 firmware update that just came out today.

OP
X

xbliss

I always do all the updates as they become available and have never had a problem. I'm only supporting 10 Surfaces now where I work. I wouldn't hesitate to do all updates to my own Surface Pro 3 i7. As a matter of fact I installed the 6/23/2015 firmware update that just came out today.

You havent faced any negative issues with SP3 updates? Especially the latest release? I will post back on what my Windows System Update shows as options for downloading before I install it. Please do advise. Thanks.

Grumpy2

Well I do not agree with leeshor. I recently installed the May 2015 firmware update and since then every time I turn on my device or wake it up I get two white flashes. One before and one after the Surface Logo. Did not happen before the update. With my two Windows 7 computers I decided a long time ago not to do updates unless they are really necessary. Am now adopting that same principle with my Surface Pro3. If it isn't broke why fix it. My Surface was not broke before the May firmware update but it is now. A good reason imho not to do updates. I also have three mobile phones which I have never updated. Also early this year I updated an app on my iPad and that app has not worked since. Have taken this up with the developer who states there is nothing wrong with his app. So I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it from the "app Store" and it still does not work. Another good reason not to do updates. Sorry leeshor but we obviously agree to disagree.

OP
X

xbliss

Well I do not agree with leeshor. I recently installed the May 2015 firmware update and since then every time I turn on my device or wake it up I get two white flashes. One before and one after the Surface Logo. Did not happen before the update. With my two Windows 7 computers I decided a long time ago not to do updates unless they are really necessary. Am now adopting that same principle with my Surface Pro3. If it isn't broke why fix it. My Surface was not broke before the May firmware update but it is now. A good reason imho not to do updates. I also have three mobile phones which I have never updated. Also early this year I updated an app on my iPad and that app has not worked since. Have taken this up with the developer who states there is nothing wrong with his app. So I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it from the "app Store" and it still does not work. Another good reason not to do updates. Sorry leeshor but we obviously agree to disagree.

Grumpy & Leeshor - With utmost regards to you both.. I have experienced both. I have experienced chaos and issues due to updates and then I have seen things getting fixed as well.

Which is why.. I am careful.. and gradual in doing updates. I like to see how an update is affecting the systems and people.
Not all updates are without flaws and some flaws never even get fixed (I can list them out).
(Is this another example: ?? http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/random-firmware-updates.9475/)

I full agree with all your experiences including the iPad/ iPhone App thing where these days I always check reviews and comments and take my sweet time before I update an App. Better to be WORKING with whats not broken, than to put something that breaks it.

This is exactly why I have posted this question and am seeking support of this community.

Then again, being skeptic about them does not mean I will never update. I have to see and check the value of the update among peers and positives/ negatives they have faced. This is the REASON that such forums exist; to ask & share experiences, positive and negative.

Last edited:
OP
X

xbliss

Grumpy I see a System Firmware update for 6/23 - Have you tried that yet? I am hoping / guessing that would fix things from your "May" Update. - Can you please point out/ specify which "specific" update is the one that caused your issues? I'd like to make a note of that.

Also, I see so much variance in what System Update shows an what is there on the Microsoft Surface Pro website. It points out completely different files and updates; which is fine.. But, I'd like to be able to trace/ track between them.

A few updates from my Important list:
- Western Digital Technologies - WD SES Device - 37 KB
- Definition for Windows Defender - 156.8 MB - On my previous machine with Windows 7x64- I had disabled and not used Windows Defender and preferred to use Avira/ AVG Free
(Peoples thoughts on that?)

- Update for Windows 8.1 x64 based systems - 775.2 MB
- Cumulative security update for IE 11 for Windows x 64 - 52.5 MB
- Windows Malicious Software Removal tool JUNE 2015 - 50.4 MB

Is there a better way/ tool to read through these updates / list (copy paste the dates / sort by dates) to discern between them?

OP
X

xbliss

@xbliss You'll be safe to do 2 things, ignore the optional updates and only apply the other updates the 4th or 1st week of the month. I support nearly 500 systems in the field and updating that way has never caused any problems, ZERO. It's the bad updates that Microsoft has issued with minimal regression testing that have caught people by surprise and then only with certain other software installed, and even then it has happened only infrequently.

The only update problems I have had on customer systems were the ones I'm not in charge of updating, but they weren't following my suggestion. On a new system you can apply all the updates. It's when other software has been installed where you can run into trouble and only if you apply them within a week after patch Tuesday. It sometimes takes Microsoft that long to pull a bad patch.

If things were as you commented on in your first paragraph I would have been out of business long ago.

Ha ha! :) You're not going out of business anytime :p I get what you are saying but some of the bad experiences now make me wary and more cautious as I have OTHER WORK to do on the machine and cant have updates messing up my daily life.

I appreciate the insights. So you are saying most updates for 4th and 1st week of the month (would that be recommended even for the most recent - current 4th week of June) are good and Week 2 and 3 are typically not well tested (by your experience) ?

What is this "week after patch Tuesday"? This is a reference I did not catch / get/ understand fully?

Are these 10 Surface Pros or Non Pros? Are they all SP3's? The reason I ask - Given the unique nature of Surface & Pro hardware and many factors of VARIANCE/ VARIETY between hardware some update for an S3 may work but could mess up SP3.. so I think.

Hence, I ask :) Do share the above details. Thanks.

bluegrass

All the Surfaces I support where I work are SP3's. Generally i5's with 128gig with a docking station and external monitor, full size keyboard & mouse. They also all have the SP3 keyboards.