What's new

What updates/ Firmware updates etc you've installed/ recommend & what issues have they fixed/ not?

I am also getting white flashes every time I turn on or restart my SP3. This started with last firmware update and continues after the 6/23 update. Is anyone else experiencing this?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am also getting white flashes every time I turn on or restart my SP3. This started with last firmware update and continues after the 6/23 update. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Nope (granted i'm on windows 10). Both SP3 and S3 fully updated and running as expected. I sure am glad i'm not this paranoid about updates :) life is tough enough as it is.

OP
X

xbliss

Please specify: OS (W8.1/W10TP), Hardware, Manufacture Date/Batch, Firmware?
(Mini Survey)
(Faulty GPUs/ firmware were found in Thinkpads & other machines that I've bought and used in the past.. when people posted in the forum it was found a upto a certain batch had faults)
I recently installed the May 2015 firmware update and since then every time I turn on my device or wake it up I get two white flashes. One before and one after the Surface Logo. Did not happen before the update.
White flashes: 2
All the Surfaces I support where I work are SP3's. Generally i5's with 128gig with a docking station and external monitor, full size keyboard & mouse. They also all have the SP3 keyboards.
No White flashes: 1 + User base of 9 (Would it be asking too much to see if any of them see the above issue? It would be a nice great survey)
Nope (granted i'm on windows 10). Both SP3 and S3 fully updated and running as expected. I sure am glad i'm not this paranoid about updates :) life is tough enough as it is.
Win 10 TP?
Yeah life is tough & busy enough.. :)
so I hate it when what I depend on "primary work machines" start working in ways that I did not want.

bluegrass

I'm disappointed. I didn't get any white flashes with my last two firmware updates. If I did, I wouldn't worry about them as long as my Surface still boots OK.

OP
X

xbliss

Ok. I might dare to go for the updates.. here's what I see:

There is a difference in what System Update shows versus what's there on the Microsoft Surface Pro download pages.
It points out completely different files and updates; which is fine.. But, I'd like to be able to connect some dots between them.

Few updates visible in my Windows Update - Important Section/ Tab:
- Western Digital Technologies - WD SES Device - 37 KB
- Definition for Windows Defender - 156.8 MB -
(On my previous machine with Windows 7x64- I had disabled and not used Windows Defender and preferred to use Avira/ AVG Free. Your thoughts on that?)
- Update for Windows 8.1 x64 based systems - 775.2 MB
- Cumulative security update for IE 11 for Windows x 64 - 52.5 MB
- Windows Malicious Software Removal tool JUNE 2015 - 50.4 MB

Surface software, firmware, and drivers - Download Center - page
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

I downloaded some of these.. I am guessing not all are useful for SP3.

Details:
Note:There are multiple files available for this download.Once you click on the "Download" button, you will be prompted to select the files you need.
Date Published: 16/25/2015

Surface Ethernet Adapter.zip 46 KB
Surface Firmware Tool.msi 476 KB
Surface Gigabit Ethernet Adapter.zip 57 KB
Surface Pro 1 - January 2015.zip 372.8 MB
Surface Pro 3 AssetTag.zip 60 KB
Surface Pro 3 KB2978002.zip 7.5 MB
Surface3_150623.msi 110.5 MB
Surface3_150623.zip 228.9 MB
SurfacePro2_150519.zip 150.7 MB
SurfacePro3_150623.msi 105.2 MB
SurfacePro3_150623.zip 152.5 MB

Windows8.1-KB2969817-x64.msu 343 KB
Wintab-1.0.0.18-64-bit.zip 4.4 MB

Cumulative and current firmware and drivers for the Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro. This firmware and driver package contains drivers for all of the components in the Surface 3, Surface Pro 3, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro devices, as well as updates to the system firmware that have been released via Windows Update. These drivers and firmware are compatible with Windows 8.1 (Pro and Enterprise). The Surface Pro driver pack contains drivers and firmware that are compatible with Windows 8.0 (Pro and Enterprise). The Surface 3, Surface Pro 3 and Surface Pro 2 drivers and firmware are not compatible with Windows 8.0 (Pro and Enterprise). These drivers and firmware are not compatible with Surface RT and Surface 2.

Any ideas on which of those marked above are "essential/ match up" to the updates in Windows System Update?

OP
X

xbliss

I'm disappointed. I didn't get any white flashes with my last two firmware updates. If I did, I wouldn't worry about them as long as my Surface still boots OK.

Unfortunately, the white flashes have started. Not a usage issue, but given the history of such things (monitors, other GPUs on thinkpads etc), I am a bit concerned longer term, even though its not a bother short term.

PS: Can we all share and post the "Tech Info" of people who are getting the flashes v/s those who are not?

Should we start a separate thread of TRACK & RESEARCH this particular FLASH thing as a survey?