What's new

What version should I get? Wait for Windows 9?

ElectricZombie

I'm possibly in the market for a Surface 3.

I've been very pleased with my iPad, but feel limited by the smaller screen size and lack of several critical apps. I have several other machines, both Windows and OSX based, but I'm getting tired of carrying multiple devices for personal and work use.

I'm having a hard time trying to decide what version to purchase. My choices are between the i5/8gb/256gb version and the high end i7 model.

Typical usage for me consists of some AutoCAD work, drawing, email, web browsing, lots of ebooks, OneNote and running a Linux VM occasionally. Nothing too major I suppose. My gaming is pretty much limited to my MBP or iMac, although I might load some older games on the Surface 3. (I know that it's not really designed for gaming.)

I'm not sure if the i7 would be overkill for my uses. I'm also a bit concerned that it might overheat, but I understand that some of those issues have been resolved.

I'm also concerned that it might be best to wait for Windows 9 to come out before buying a Surface 3. I keep thinking I should just wait and see what they come out with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm headed to the Microsoft store tomorrow to actually test one of these out, as the display model at my local Best Buy was broken.

Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

There isn't a really good reason to wait. If you did then you will be waiting for the next thing too. Windows 8 will upgrade to Windows 9 so that may be a non issue.

However based on your statements I would consider going with 256GB storage though you can make less work if you utilize the cloud and microSD for storage.

OP
E

ElectricZombie

Thanks for the reply.

That's the conundrum surrounding all electronics purchases; they will always come out with something new.

Any thoughts on i5 vs. i7 for my uses?

InspectHerGadget

I think the Sp3 is a step forward in every way except the writing. I found, for me, this was much better on the SP2.

The other issue is depreciation which has been pretty savage. This means you can pick up an SP2 for under half the new price.

It is your choice but the SP3 will be updated again in six months, more or less with Broadwell processors.

I personally really like my SP2 but yor choice.

OP
E

ElectricZombie

I forgot that the Broadwell processors were coming out soon.

May have to just wait until the refresh; battery life is very important to me.

kristalsoldier

I forgot that the Broadwell processors were coming out soon.

May have to just wait until the refresh; battery life is very important to me.

Well, in that case you should wait for the iteration after the one that comes with Broadwell. That, for sure, will have even better battery life. As for Win 9, it will work as it should on the current SP3.

Last edited:

raqball

I've never understood the whole waiting thing.. if you wait for the next version then you might as well wait for the version after that. Since you are waiting for it, you might as well hold off for the one after it.

Rinse, lather, rinse and repeat..

Get what you want and enjoy it. The next version is a never ending cycle and waiting for what's next is a game that you can play forever.

InspectHerGadget

I've never understood the whole waiting thing.. if you wait for the next version then you might as well wait for the version after that. Since you are waiting for it, you might as well hold off for the one after it.

Rinse, lather, rinse and repeat..

Get what you want and enjoy it. The next version is a never ending cycle and waiting for what's next is a game that you can play forever.

Except this time, less than two weeks after release here in Australia, Intel has already released new 14nm Broadwell M with what appears to be similar or better performance and using 1/3 the power and with better battery life than the Surface Pro 3.

The Lenovo Helix will be for sale next month.

I know other people who have bought the SP3, and were on the ledge wondering how soon a Broadwell update might happen.

I'm not sure if Microsoft will do anything this year about putting new chips in. I would say probably not. I think they'll wait for the 15W Broadwell although it would make sense to have both.

Why not have a 5W Broadwell option and fanless? Somewhere in the range anyway, as an option rather than the i3 which is just half the speed. It would have a huge battery life.

InspectHerGadget

The i7 by the way is much faster than the i5. Much more so than the clock speed difference might suggest. Hideously quick. It is 2 - 3 x faster than my i5-4200U SP2. I did some tests on it. It has extra on chip memory and other enhancements.