What's new

What version should I get? Wait for Windows 9?

atoms83

I use AutoCAD 2015 everyday for work on my Surface pro 3 256GB. While I'm still surprised everyday about how I can run AutoCAD on the thing and get some actual work done, I still get frustrated at the lack of dedicated graphics. I keep finding myself looking on the web for an external GPU solution or even buying a used $500 Dell precision mobile workstation. However, my drawings are relatively simple and don't bog down the system to much. The pros are still there.. small, lightweight, The ability to daisy chain multiple monitors with no dock, and people are constantly asking about it both at school and work.. so that's nice.

OP
E

ElectricZombie

Thanks for the info on AutoCAD.

My drawings are very simple by most standards. Small parts with few lines. Sounds like the Surface can handle this with no problems.

surfdock

I concur with others about the 256GB/8GB model. The bump to 8GB ram is quite handy, but the bump from i5 to i7 processing or additional built-in storage isn't nearly as useful. Save the cash for a nice external monitor.

Personally, I'd love an option for 128GB/8GB. You can always attach another hard drive, SD card or USB stick; you can't insert more ram. I have the 128GB/4GB model right now and just wish I had more RAM.

kristalsoldier

This question about extra RAM is specific to individual needs. For example, in the last 3 years, I have graduated from 2GB RAM devices to now 4GB devices (my desktop machine and now the SP3) and I still don't find my work being hampered. Would 8GB RAM work better for me?

Dan Wells

I'm running Photoshop, Lightroom and ArcGIS on an i7/256... If there are bigger pigs of applications than those three, I can't think of them. The Surface handles them fine, and doesn't heat up any more than any other smallish laptop asked to handle these huge apps - remember that this thing LOOKS like an iPad (and does a perfectly acceptable imitation of one - it's even a darn good e-reader), but packs a ton of power. The battery life is entirely reasonable for a tablet if you use it as a tablet - if I'm e-reading and doing light web browsing, it'll get 9+ hours. Running Photoshop CC and ArcGIS simultaneously is guaranteed to kill the battery, but try that on any other tablet (no laptop will last very long running those two, either - unless it's a semi-mobile workstation with a battery the size of a UPS).

It's not perfect, but it is by far the most innovative computer I've seen recently. The combination of pen, touch (finger), keyboard and mouse is actually brilliant. I can create documents that I couldn't on anything else (integrating pen input into other documents). Apple's too busy buying lousy headphone companies and making fashion watches to be interested in this interface space - shame - I'd have liked to see their take on it, but they seem to be dedicated to the iPad as a consumption tool, rather than a creative one.

InspectHerGadget

Just as Microsoft has made some mistakes, so have/will Apple.

The Surface is unique.

On the subject of waiting. Yes, you should always wait for the next update, provided you've got something that does the job in the meantime. Mobile tech is changing at a huge pace which means it is hugely tempting to update every 6-12 months but it can also be hugely costly.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just as Microsoft has made some mistakes, so have/will Apple.

The Surface is unique.

On the subject of waiting. Yes, you should always wait for the next update, provided you've got something that does the job in the meantime. Mobile tech is changing at a huge pace which means it is hugely tempting to update every 6-12 months but it can also be hugely costly.
I'll offer you the opposite advice...
Get what's on the market now, gain valuable knowledge and experience then sell to the waiters and buy the next big thing.

InspectHerGadget

I'll offer you the opposite advice...
Get what's on the market now, gain valuable knowledge and experience then sell to the waiters and buy the next big thing.
If money isn't an issue then why not?

If I had unlimited funds for gadgets then I would just buy the latest and if I weren't happy, just treat it as a learning experience and stash it or resell it.

RémiM

I've never understood the whole waiting thing.. if you wait for the next version then you might as well wait for the version after that. Since you are waiting for it, you might as well hold off for the one after it.

Rinse, lather, rinse and repeat..

Get what you want and enjoy it. The next version is a never ending cycle and waiting for what's next is a game that you can play forever.

Totally agree. If you buy the SP3, no matter what your device will not be obsolete as soon as Broadwell is out. But I recognize that the power of the marketing is really strong.

The Lenovo Helix will be for sale next month.

The Helix is in my opinion an ugly device. I would 10 times get the SP3 over the Lenovo, even over the next gen.