What's new

What video player are you using on your SP2?

MickeyLittle

VLC Media Player.

Harvey, maybe it's just me but when I look in the store and type VLC, I see a boat load of VLC Players and there looks like at least 4 titled VLC Media Player. Are you talking the desktop player or which one?

Darren, it's much more helpful if you give us an idea of what types of video you are trying to play, such as ripped DVD formats, home movies, or whatever.

Last edited:

Ruffles

Also, keep in mind that desktop apps/players such as VLC use more battery than Metro full screen apps. For this reason, I just use the built in Video app.

MickeyLittle

Also, keep in mind that desktop apps/players such as VLC use more battery than Metro full screen apps. For this reason, I just use the built in Video app.

Didn't think about that... I also use the Stock app and it works great for me as well.

Booch

I also use the VLC desktop app. I started using it to play MKV's, and it does a super job with these and any other format I've tried thus far.
As for a VLC metro app, I believe they are working on one, but it's not arrived@ the store yet.
The ones in the store now that use the name VLC, are not the real deal. Not saying they're all no good, but I'd probably not waste my money on one.

MickeyLittle

I also use the VLC desktop app. I started using it to play MKV's, and it does a super job with these and any other format I've tried thus far.
As for a VLC metro app, I believe they are working on one, but it's not arrived@ the store yet.
The ones in the store now that use the name VLC, are not the real deal. Not saying they're all no good, but I'd probably not waste my money on one.

Thanks Booch, this is what's so confusing for me a lot of times when people just list an app name. I automatically go to the app store and the next thing you know, I've either bought a couple of duds of I've wasted 20-30 minutes downloading 3-4 absolute waste of time apps trying to see what's so special about the app that's been named.

iliketoys

I highly recommend Mobile.HD as a Metro player. It's $3.49 but it plays any codec I've thrown at it so far including MKVs. I've been using it to stream movies to my Xbox One.

Screen shot 2014-01-15 at 4.07.56 PM.png

Booch

Thanks Booch, this is what's so confusing for me a lot of times when people just list an app name. I automatically go to the app store and the next thing you know, I've either bought a couple of duds of I've wasted 20-30 minutes downloading 3-4 absolute waste of time apps trying to see what's so special about the app that's been named.

You're welcome. Not sure what the criteria is to develop an app for the Microsoft store, but wish they'd clamp down on those who seem to be attempting to take advantage of users.
One rule of thumb I've adopted for myself is to not purchase any paid apps that don't give you a trial period. The way I figure is if it was a good performer, they would want people to try it.