What's new

What will you get instead?

drew051

Hey Guys,
Been reading the forums since I picked up my book on Launch day last week, i7 256

I haven't had as many problems as some people have but I am experiencing the same as a lot of you!

I came from a retina MacBook pro and have used Mac for many many years, however the book really impressed me in the store. I am still thinking of converting to Windows for a while but can't seem to find the right quality of a macbook. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places!

So what I'm trying to say is, what will you buy if you return your Surface Book?

Thanks for reading!

cmatvchuk

Why is there any need to get anything instead. Surface Book has been out for 1 week. Pose your question in a few weeks or so when patches and firmware updates come out and Microsoft addresses a lot of the 1st gen software issues.

Nonseven

It depends on what you want to do. You generally start with the type of software you want to run, and then pick the system that runs that software the best.

double07

I am from rMBP 15 as well. I have SP3 i7/8gb/256 that I didn't use much, I sold it last week thinking about picking SB up. But for the money, I decided to picked up iMac 27" 5k at same price instead.

thinkthis

A few days ago I was ready to return my SB and pickup a 15" MBP, given all the problems I was experiencing, but things have improved quite a bit for me since then. I'm hoping they continue to get better with more updates.

At this point, I'm pretty happy (Core i5, dGPU, 256GB). I just got the dock today, so we will see how that goes.

I knew I was kind of beta testing this given how few people at Microsoft even knew this existed, but the biggest problem for me was the clipboard not always detaching. I hate it when things work sometimes, without any rhyme or reason as to why they do or don't. However, it has magically become more consistent. Assuming that continues we are good to go. I do really like this puppy. The screen is so amazing (along with the pen, which I find myself actually using) that I'm literally willing this thing to become 100% polished.

OP
D

drew051

Thanks for the feedback! I am also going to stick with it for the next few months and hopefully with patches and some updates we will be good to go! I have been approached multiple times in coffee shops with people asking me what type of computer this is!

cmatvchuk

Firmware update is available for download. Here are the details that I found.

Thankfully, Microsoft has listened and has rolled out a firmware update dated November 2nd (talk about fast response time!). Here are the details for the firmware update:

• HD Graphics 520 driver update (v20.19.15.4308) addresses some display issues, including some scenarios that result in screen flickering.
  • Display audio driver update (v8.20.0.659) supports compatibility with the updated graphics driver.
  • Surface Embedded Controller Firmware update (v103.855.257.0) improves system stability.
  • Surface Pen Settings driver update (v10.0.302.0) adds support for future functionality on Windows 10.

cmatvchuk

I was thinking about the Vaio Z Canvas and the screen is smaller, and it definitely is going to chew up the battery with that processor. About half of the surface book, give or take. Plus it doesn't look as sexy.

Az_Rael

I cancelled my SB order and bought the Vaio Z Canvas. Yeah, it's not as "cool", but it actually meets my needs better with the quad core CPU and the wide gamut screen. And, bonus, it's been rock solid since I first fired it up last Friday. No BSODs, or anything. (Of course it helps that it's been out for 5 months in Japan)

The extreme battery life wasn't a driver for me on the SB, and, while I do regret losing some of the screen real estate, the color accuracy of the screen for photography has been amazing.