What's new

What will your next HYBRID be?

BillJ

The SP is my PC now. When I upgraded from the RT back in February, it did take me some time to get used to the extra weight, heat, and shorter battery life of the Pro. Last week my wife was using the SP for something, and I got out my old Zenbook Prime, and I was reminded that there are some advantages to a larger screen. However, I also realized that I do not want to go back to a non touch screen ever again.

So... my next device could have lighter weight, longer battery life, slightly larger screen (possibly), but still have as fast a cpu as possible, pixel density in the high 200's; in short, the Surface Pro with improvements anticipated in the second iteration.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

You all know that the XPS 11 has a TOUCH keyboard, don't you? I need the 2560 x 1440 screen, but I need more the type keyboard so Surface Pro would be my choice today. 256 GB version, BUILD... let's wait.

Yes but it is rumored to have tactile feee

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

You all know that the XPS 11 has a TOUCH keyboard, don't you? I need the 2560 x 1440 screen, but I need more the type keyboard so Surface Pro would be my choice today. 256 GB version, BUILD... let's wait.

Yes but it is rumored to have tactile feedback and perhaps some small travel to the keys. Doesn't matter to me, I love the touch keyboard and can type lightning fast on it.

Spaniard

This guy probably thinks that even type cover isn't enough lol
Microsoft Surface Pro
It's driving two 21" monitors at 1920x1080 through a USB 3.0 DisplayLink and I have keyboard and mouse hooked up via bluetooth. I have full version of Office, Adobe CS Suite, and Autodesk loaded. I've already added a 64gb micro SD for extra capacity. Try doing this with your iPad!
560070_10151425285188908_994641000_n.jpg

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

It's driving two 21" monitors at 1920x1080 through a USB 3.0 DisplayLink and I have keyboard and mouse hooked up via bluetooth. I have full version of Office, Adobe CS Suite, and Autodesk loaded. I've already added a 64gb micro SD for extra capacity. Try doing this with your iPad!

And chicks still don't dig him.

Nuspieds

Surface Pro 2!

I'm looking forward to this thinner, lighter and faster version. Moreover, I can't wait to finally have DisplayPort 1.2 support.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Allow me to be even weirder than usual for a moment.

Why even have a Surface Pro II? If the purpose of the Surface Pro was to motivate their hardware partners to create better Windows 8 tablets and laptops and that goal seems to have been achieved, why spend millions creating a Surface Pro II to enter a crowded marketplace late (2014) just to compete against your own partners? Surface Pro II can't just be a simple refresh with Haswell. We are looking at (most likely) a larger screen size, ultra HD resolution, different battery - major changes.

Maybe Surface Pro was never meant as a carrot, but as a stick?

Has anyone noticed that even as we are getting huge buzz on next gen Windows 8 hybrids from Microsoft Partners were are hearing almost nothing from Microsoft about Surface Pro II? Surface II but no Surface Pro II. Hmmmm.

Not saying MS won't go SP2, but I can see why they wouldn't.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Nope, you're still in character...!!!
Allow me to be even weirder than usual for a moment.

Why even have a Surface Pro II? If the purpose of the Surface Pro was to motivate their hardware partners to create better Windows 8 tablets and laptops and that goal seems to have been achieved, why spend millions creating a Surface Pro II to enter a crowded marketplace late (2014) just to compete against your own partners?

Maybe Surface Pro was never meant as a carrot, but as a stick?

Has anyone noticed that even as we are getting huge buzz on next gen Windows 8 hybrids from Microsoft Partners were are hearing almost nothing from Microsoft about Surface Pro II? I am hearing about 8" Surface products but no Surface Pro II. Hmmmm.

Not saying MS won't go SP2, but I can see why they wouldn't.

quadtronix

For now, I'm testing the waters with windows 8 but like what I'm seeing so far. The Acer R7 caught my attention recently... but that XPS 11 sounds pretty sweet too. I think if I do get a hybrid eventually, it will be Haswell. Its not a bad idea as then I could replace my laptop but have more portability.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

For now, I'm testing the waters with windows 8 but like what I'm seeing so far. The Acer R7 caught my attention recently... but that XPS 11 sounds pretty sweet too. I think if I do get a hybrid eventually, it will be Haswell. Its not a bad idea as then I could replace my laptop but have more portability.

This is what is amazing about the new hybrids. They truly are laptop / tablet replacements with NO sacrifices. All the power, ports, functionality and battery life of a laptop and all the portability, touch and convenience of a tablet.

fonzman78

Having followed the Pro since they first announced it, I am very happy with it. I remember watching the video and thinking 'yes, this is exactly what I need'. When I finally got it on day one, it didn't disappoint and gave me what I needed to both work and play. I'm in sales so I need to have MS Office and Visio. I also needed a small form factor so I could travel light to meetings and on flights. The Pro delivered and there is no looking back for me.

I've looked at all the hybrids that are out now. A few have caught my eye and made me do a double take. But at the end of the day, these new hybrids are just that, hybrids. The Dell XPS reminds me of my old tablets, the Toshiba M200 and HP TXxxx. Nice devices but they require that I flip or spin or turn around and I end up with what is essentially a laptop that tries to be a tablet. Been there, done that, didn't like it.

For me, I will keep the Pro vs looking at other devices. I like how it looks and feels in my hand. I like that it is very portable. I think that it is professional looking which is important to me as I am in sales. I can't tell you how many times a sales meeting is disrupted for 15 min when i whip out my Pro and everyone one wants to try it.

I will wait for the Pro 2. I hope the OP is wrong when he speculates that the Pro was a carrot. MS did it right and I hope they do it better with the Pro 2. Now the million dollar question. Do I get the Pro2 as soon as it comes out or do I keep my Pro until it dies. Easy answer. I will get the new Pro2 on day one. Why? Because I can.