What's new

Whats APPS are you running in Systray? Post your "Battery Life"

Liam2349

RAM consumes basically zero battery. It's so low power that it's not even worth thinking about the differences in consumption.

i3 does get the best battery life if you purely use tablet mode.

Stockholmstar

Hi,
I have been following this thread because I seldom get more than 3-4 hours from my SP3. Yesterday I disabled Dropbox and 1Password in start-up programs. For the first time I got 7:59 minutes. It is only one cycle yet, but it looks promising. Are Dropbox and 1Password known culprits?

I'm trying to find out who gets the best battery on their Surface Pro 3 vs whats apps you have running in the Systray.

The reason is that it really blows getting only 5.08 hours of average battery life on my new SP3 just web browsing. That's slightly more than half of Microsoft's advertised claims of up to 9 hours of web surfing.

This has been my experience as well. Drops to around 4 hours if I watch a decent amount of YouTube in that mix. At best, I've had a few charges that went up to around 6 hours when my antivirus didn't kick in with a scan. (This is all on max brightness by the way).

Overall though, average is probably around 4.5 hours while just web browsing.

I'd get the Power Cover if I were you, as it's let me get around 7-8 hours average now regardless of what I'm doing while at 100% brightness.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,
I have been following this thread because I seldom get more than 3-4 hours from my SP3. Yesterday I disabled Dropbox and 1Password in start-up programs. For the first time I got 7:59 minutes. It is only one cycle yet, but it looks promising. Are Dropbox and 1Password known culprits?
Any service that uses Synchronous (or real time) Sync rather than Asynchronous Sync will negatively impact battery life...

Dblkk

SP3 i5, 256gb
Office (outlook, one note, usually a word doc or two)
Spotify/ITunes
Mail app
Dexport
IE 'app' usually at least 5-10 tabs open at any given time
IE 'desktop' (depending on day/workload) anywhere from 1-5 tabs open, on at least 2 desktops

Typical battery 7-8 hours

*above + Rockwell automation software* 5-6 hours
*above + Adobe Light Room software* 4-6 hours
*above + Sony Vegas software* Editing 4-5 hours * Rendering 1.5-2.25 hours
*above + AutoCAD * editing 5-6 hours * rendering unknown (always save draft/import into laptop/pc for render)

Liam2349

I've been getting 7 to 8 hours, was consistently above 8 but I'm having issues at the moment.

The Marvell driver is making my Surface use loads of battery in connected standby. Refreshed it, it was fixed, 2 days later and it's back so I'm going to cave and call Surface support tomorrow.

Trouble is they are never fking open when I get home. Apparently they close at 7pm in my time zone, but when I go to the website it always says they are closed - at 6pm.

I'll try to post back with what they say about this issue, because it's a pretty bad one.