What's new

What's in September 2014 update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctitanic

Surface Pro 3
The following updates in "System Firmware Update – 9/9/2014" applies to Surface Pro 3.
Surface Pro UEFI update (v3.10.250.0) improves system experience and enhances overall system stability, including Wi-Fi.
Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update (v38.6.50.0) enhanced support for system performance and user experience, including thermostat icon on boot.
Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware update (v3.9.350.0) increases the overall system reliability and compatibility with a Surface cover.
Surface Integration driver update (v2.0.1102.0) enhances user experience, including Wi-Fi stability.
Surface Wi-Fi and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3055.107) improves Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth reliability and system stability, and significantly enhances the user experience.

Source: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/microsoft-surface-firmware-updates-september-2014

mohcho

I was hesitant to install today's update but I am glad I did. Ran the updates, no issue.

One thing it did fix for sure is the WiFi. At home, I only could connect at max 65 mbps but after the update I got speeds of 130 mbps. That alone was worth it.

ScottyS

"Surface Wi-Fi and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3055.107) improves Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth reliability and system stability, and significantly enhances the user experience."

Does "significantly enhances the user experience" mean it makes it work the way it is supposed to work?

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

"Surface Wi-Fi and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3055.107) improves Wi-Fi/ Bluetooth reliability and system stability, and significantly enhances the user experience."

Does "significantly enhances the user experience" mean it makes it work the way it is supposed to work?
Try and tell us your findings.

ScottyS

At work WiFi wouldn't connect in some areas of our WLAN, but would in others. And in some areas it would connect but say "Limited Connectivity" which means no Internet and no access to anything on our network at work. Sometimes uninstalling the Marvell driver and scanning for hardware change fixed it, sometimes not (but I'd always have to re-enter work and home passwords after re-installing the driver).

At home opening an web page often gave the page saying unable to open page, with a Fix the problem button. That would run the network trouble shooter which used to find a problem and fix it. Lately (after some update, I suppose) it would say the problem couldn't be fixed, but when I clicked the trouble shooter's close button then web page would suddenly appear and work. Every time it'd go into standby, I'd get the same problems again.

The pen problem was every time I'd try to use the button to open OneNote it wouldn't work and I'd have to re-pair the pen. Sometimes I'd get a message "Device error - connect to Internet". Uninstalling and re-installing the BT driver seems to have fixed that now. BTW, the MS store gave me a new SP3 when they tried a brand new pen right out of the box and it had the same problem. Of course the new one had the problem too once I got it open and setup. I had told them the WiFi issue was a known issue and MS was supposed to have a fix in Sept. They said (at first) they couldn't give me a new SP3 if it was a known issue and I'd have to wait for the fix. Then they tackled the pen problem and ended up giving me a new SP3. I'll never know if they really knew the WiFi issue was a known issue and MS was supposed to have a fix in Sept. or if they just said that because I said it. They didn't know the pen had two button batteries in the top for the BT function.

So the pen seems to work now, and I just installed the 9/9 firmware and other updates and so far everything works here at home; can't wait to bring it to work tomorrow to see if that fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.