What's new

What's the best way to connect the SP2 to a TV, wirelessly?

CrippsCorner

I see! Might need a long cable but hey, that should work :) cheers. Now lets just hope it actually comes out...

Slightly off topic but I read today about being able to stream media from your Windows 8 computer to an Xbox One via Charms. Anyone know if this would work with something like TVCatchup?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It might, you swipe devices Play To, if the stream is HDCP Protected it will not work....here in the states all the Network Apps/Sites won't work for DNLA Streaming.

beq

FYI Actiontech support gave further replies, but I admit I'm still not 100% clear.

While trying to diagnose my added lag (emphasis added):
Display lag can also be attributed to wireless signal, although if it worked fine in your environment before and you made no changes other than to the firmware on your Surface Pro 2, this may not be the cause. To check quickly, disconnect your Surface Pro 2 from your regular WiFi network and then connect to the ScreenBeam for wireless display. If the lag is gone, you'll want to change the wireless channel on your WiFi router, as the Miracast connection from the Surface Pro 2 to the ScreenBeam Receiver will use that same channel if the Surface Pro 2 is connected to the WiFi network at the same time.

Regarding frequency/channel connection:
When it comes to the 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections, the P2P connection established by Miracast or Intel WiDi is 2.4GHz, but video streaming is 5GHz only.

Perhaps I'm dense, but these kinda seem contradictory?

beq

But they also clarified why my SP2's weren't asked for a PIN when pairing:

Microsoft released an update (Spring Update - KB2919355) recently that modified Win8.1 to default connect Miracast using push button, instead of PIN.
<...>
The user doesn’t have to do anything. When they add the device Windows will display a message saying to “Follow the instructions on the TV” or something like that. Just wait and the PC and SB RX will pair, connect, then display.
<...>
As for Android mobile devices, most connect using push button – only a small handful default to PIN.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
FYI Actiontech support gave further replies, but I admit I'm still not 100% clear.

While trying to diagnose my added lag (emphasis added):

Regarding frequency/channel connection:

Perhaps I'm dense, but these kinda seem contradictory?

DNLA Play To vs. Miracast/WiDi