What's new

What's The Problem Here Anyway?

Sir Face

What I'm trying to figure out, is the reason why it is so difficult for Microsoft to simply make it possible to completely charge BOTH the SP2's own internal battery, PLUS the Power Cover's battery, while the Surface is totally SHUT DOWN... this apparently can not happen unless you leave the unit in its "sleep" mode only, which I would rather not do.
Is there some technical reason that the SP2 can't be totally shut down, connected to its charger, and BOTH batteries be charged up fully to 100%? Why in the world did they ever design the device like this??

Last edited:

kundas1

And what is the problem with sleep? Instead of shutting it down... besides taking faster to turn on? Why the adamant need for shutting down?

GoodBytes

I don't know. But all I can think about is that it could be using a driver to control the charge system. I am thinking that maybe the recharge circuit can only charge 1 set of batteries at a time. The limitation could be due to a lack of room in the SP2 to allow a larger circuit system to be installed (and handle the extra heat), for charging 2 sets of batteries at the same time, or they try to make the keyboard as think as possible, so didn't put a charging circuit inside (or maybe , because it is enclosed in rubber, might not be able to handle the heat from the charging circuit).

GoodBytes

And what is the problem with sleep? Instead of shutting it down... besides taking faster to turn on? Why the adamant need for shutting down?

Sleeps works perfect well with me. Same for hibernate, and shutdown. Something is probably wrong on your system, it could be the system itself, the keyboard , and something at a software level, or you are confusing Sleep with Hibernate. The device will go hibernate after putting itself to sleep after a while.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Old behaviors are difficult to change... some people have always shut their machines down and that has become part of their workflow. I can't actually remember the last time I shut down a mobile device.

As far as the Power Cover, the limitation is the design and as with all products there are decisions that are made for whatever trade off or to overcome a bug.

OP
S

Sir Face

Less power consumption. Less potential problem with SP2 "awakening" when it's not supposed to..to name a couple.

OP
S

Sir Face

Less power consumption. Less potential problem with SP2 "awakening" when it's not supposed to..to name a couple.

OP
S

Sir Face

I don't know. But all I can think about is that it could be using a driver to control the charge system. I am thinking that maybe the recharge circuit can only charge 1 set of batteries at a time. The limitation could be due to a lack of room in the SP2 to allow a larger circuit system to be installed (and handle the extra heat), for charging 2 sets of batteries at the same time, or they try to make the keyboard as think as possible, so didn't put a charging circuit inside (or maybe , because it is enclosed in rubber, might not be able to handle the heat from the charging circuit).

It wouldn't be necessary to charge both batteries "at the same time", just to fully charge one and then the other.

kevinlevrone

What I'm trying to figure out, is the reason why it is so difficult for Microsoft to simply make it possible to completely charge BOTH the SP2's own internal battery, PLUS the Power Cover's battery, while the Surface is totally SHUT DOWN... this apparently can not happen unless you leave the unit in its "sleep" mode only, which I would rather not do.
Is there some technical reason that the SP2 can't be totally shut down, connected to its charger, and BOTH batteries be charged up fully to 100%? Why in the world did they ever design the device like this??

I think the dual battery system is just at it's "1.0" version and charging switching is done via software only. When the tablet is off the charging system does not know about the second battery.

Indeed, at first I could use the Sleep function with no problems, but as I installed more software I noticed that the Sleep mode is draining the battery in a few hours while the tablet is in the bag (it basically never sleeps). I am too lazy to debug the problem. So I am now also using Shutdown.