What's new

When do you use SP3 in tablet mode?

subjonas

Hi, I'm very curious to know how SP3 owners use their SP3s, specifically as a tablet. I can definitely see the unique value of this device for people that want a real computer that they can write or draw on. But for those that don't need to write or draw, is there still a lot of value in having a hybrid device like this, as opposed to a traditional (ultraportable) laptop?

Specifically I would like to ask:

- What are people's scenarios for using the SP3 in tablet/touch mode other than for writing and drawing?
- How often (percentage of the time?) do you find yourself using the SP3 in tablet mode?

Thanks in advance!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I'm very curious to know how SP3 owners use their SP3s, specifically as a tablet. I can definitely see the unique value of this device for people that want a real computer that they can write or draw on. But for those that don't need to write or draw, is there still a lot of value in having a hybrid device like this, as opposed to a traditional (ultraportable) laptop?

Specifically I would like to ask:

- What are people's scenarios for using the SP3 in tablet/touch mode other than for writing and drawing?
- How often (percentage of the time?) do you find yourself using the SP3 in tablet mode?

Thanks in advance!
I use it in tablet mode about 80% of the time, I surf the internet, read (research), create Word Documents all in Tablet Mode also in portrait.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It replaced my nexus 10 for tablet duties so gets used exactly as much as that did. Better question is how much do you use a tablet, as opposed to how much do you use the surface as a tablet.

If you don't have much use for a tablet to start with, then the surface probably won't change that very much.

And seeing that jnjroach has mentioned it, I use mine in landscape. Always. I've never enjoyed the experience of using any tablet in portrait mode.

InspectHerGadget

I use the SP3 pretty rarely in tablet mode and even less in portrait mode.

I have an iPad for a tablet when I'm relaxing and lying down.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the SP3 pretty rarely in tablet mode and even less in portrait mode.

I have an iPad for a tablet when I'm relaxing and lying down.

That's why I bought the sp3 instead of an ultrabook though. I've never found a tablet with a kickstand, nor a case that offers anything in the way of a usable stand. Kickstand just makes an awesome bed experience. SP3 is dojng something in the other room so I'm lying in bed ATM with my nexus 10 and having gotten used to a kickstand, this thing is just a PITA. Will probably replace with the S3 for no other reason than a kickstand :) tablets without a dedicated kickstand just seem a nitnpathetic to me since I've gotten the sp3. Bought an iPad air 2 and sold it within a week. Kickstand on tablets rock :)

ScottyS

I'm in tablet mode when I'm walking around or using counter tops that are stand-up level (sometimes with the kickstand) and at conferences and lectures especially where there's auditorium seating (ie: no desks) I take notes in OneNote holding it in portrait mode like it's a legal pad.
At a desk when I have to do a lot of typing I use the snap-on keyboard and a wireless mouse.
At home it's plugged-in in and closed in a cabinet and I use a monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse.

OP
S

subjonas

Thanks, everyone, for the responses.

If you don't have much use for a tablet to start with, then the surface probably won't change that very much.

You are probably right. For me, given the choice between laptop and large tablet, in most scenarios, I think I’d almost always choose laptop because of the better typing experience, because it lets me use a trackpad for non-touch applications, and because it stands up more rigidly on non-ideal surfaces such as a lap. The times I could see choosing the tablet is when I need to use it while standing, or when I need to present things. But I don’t find myself in those situations often, not enough to sacrifice the advantages of a traditional laptop.

I do however like the idea of using a pen for writing and drawing, so I’m still interested in SP3 just for that. I’m just trying to see if there are other use cases that would compel me to get a SP3. Still not sure.

PPCApache

I use Tablet mode when I'm waiting to pick up my kids from school just so much easier than Laptop mode in the car.

spinachpie

I don't use too much solely in tablet mode, but I have grown accustomed to using the touch screen in combination with my keyboard.

The only apps I really use are Flipboard, Twitter and News Bento, but even then I still use the keyboard in combination :)

MadCruzer

I am in "laptop mode" about 80% of the time around the house on the table, etc.

Portrait mode at work with OneNote taking notes, and when on the couch watching TV... I do use tablet mode in the car though in landscape while waiting for the kids as PPCApache mentioned! You can't beat it using it in this mode in the car. I can't type fast on the on screen either but most of the time it's just clicking on things in Metro IE which I think has gotten more accurate.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, everyone, for the responses.

You are probably right. For me, given the choice between laptop and large tablet, in most scenarios, I think I’d almost always choose laptop because of the better typing experience, because it lets me use a trackpad for non-touch applications, and because it stands up more rigidly on non-ideal surfaces such as a lap. The times I could see choosing the tablet is when I need to use it while standing, or when I need to present things. But I don’t find myself in those situations often, not enough to sacrifice the advantages of a traditional laptop.

I do however like the idea of using a pen for writing and drawing, so I’m still interested in SP3 just for that. I’m just trying to see if there are other use cases that would compel me to get a SP3. Still not sure.

Yeah, i find that my surface is never used in tablet mode if it's for any form of productivity etc. tablet mode for me is just for what tablets are for, consumtion, internet etc. the note taking was pretty much the sole reason i went with the sp3 instead of an ultrabook (university lecture notes). I had originally been sceptical about it's usefulness in such a scenario but onenote and the pen have proven invaluable for me. Not sure how i'd feel about holding the thing in tablet mode while doing a presentation, i did it once and it was just that little bit too large, heavy, and unweildly, think the S3 would be much better suited for that kind of application.

With regard to stability, i know all the reviews harped on about how it was not lappable, but i have to disagree. Once you get used to the fact that it is not a clamshell, there is nothing wrong with it. I actually like it a bit more as unlike a clamshell where you pretty much have to have your legs straight, with the surface i find that because of the kickstand, i can quite comfortably get away with crossed legs, legs tucked under, you name it, and it balanmces much better as there isn't the heavy base to pull it off your legs.

Just remember, you get a 45 day return window on the whole, so unless time is of the essence there really is no reason not to buy it and give it a whirl for a bit and see if it suits your needs.

bluemoongreg

At first my usage was split pretty evenly between tablet & laptop. Now I use it as a tablet >90% of the time. Probably >80% in portrait. Keyboard is still much letter for spreadsheets & text-heavy documents or emails, but I don't do a lot of those.