What's new

When is Surface getting new Apps!

capdad

When are these surface units going to get new apps! This is turning into a crutch for the success of these thing. There should be hundreds hitting the store every day, but you wait a week and look and still nothing worth while.

It's getting a little frustrating!!

bosamar

A cool way to search for apps is to open the Store > go to desired section > Charms Bar > Search > put a '*' in the box and hit enter. You will get 100s/1000s of returns.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The store is getting hundreds of new apps everyday. Just because they are nothing "worth while" doesn't mean new apps aren't coming. If you are looking for something specific contact the people behind the service and ask for a Windows app. For example if you want Facebook contact Facebook and let them know. If enough people do this the developers should respond. I believe the demand is there but it is a silent demand with Widows users waiting to see what shows up and companies not getting enough direct demand to step up their development.

One of the reasons I bought and now love the Surface is fact that it runs standard software.

I could care less about tablet Apps - I can run real programs on this thing!

rubaxter

... For example if you want Facebook contact Facebook and let them know. If enough people do this the developers should respond. I believe the demand is there but it is a silent demand with Widows users waiting to see what shows up and companies not getting enough direct demand to step up their development.

For a small, responsive company like Ilium software and eWallet that may work, but I'd think a continuing thread/topic here with suggestions for large software houses that only offer deadend "Customer Suggestion" dropboxes on their websites would help. Lots of people could see suggestions and jump on board when they see that there are others with the same needs.

Sorta like a Support Group for the somewhat stagnant Surface Store (especially RT). For example, there still isn't a good customizable list/simple database program for the RT when you don't want to use Excel, and one that's cross platform, again like Ilium's ListPro.

If MS wants to cultivate, or even just prime, a self-sustaining Store it needs to provide a conduit for feedback from the Users to app programmers, as opposed to just funding development using the Bing advertising subsidies in all those apps with Bing adverts on-screen.

OP
C

capdad

Here...I'll Start. I would like to see Facebook, American Express App, an actual you tube app, an actual facebook app, words for friends, Verizon Fios, Google Maps (the bing maps are so old, my neighbors house is being build and its been done for 4 years), HBOGO, Flixster where you can actually watch your ultraviolet movies, and my bank Citizens

HD_Dude

Here...I'll Start. I would like to see Facebook, American Express App, an actual you tube app, an actual facebook app, words for friends, Verizon Fios, Google Maps (the bing maps are so old, my neighbors house is being build and its been done for 4 years), HBOGO, Flixster where you can actually watch your ultraviolet movies, and my bank Citizens

Great list.

I'll add: TomTom Navigation, iGrill, TripIt Pro, Flightboard, Flight Track Pro, Starbucks, AroundMe, OpenTable, Washington Post, Bittman's 'How to Cook Everything,' Speedtest, and a 'real' version of Zinio that isn't dysfunctional and broken like the one we're forced to use.

Plus - all of the above should be brand-name, not generics.

bosamar

I'm patiently waiting for the J.P. Morgan Chase online banking app. Please arrive soon!

Arizona Willie

Uncensored2008: the Windows 8 memory manager puts apps into a sort of suspended animation when you quit using it. You don't have to hit the X in the corner or Exit in the File menu. And then if you want it again, it pops right up. It can't do that for standard programs because they weren't written for that.

Of course, in most cases, the standard programs have more features and greater capability than the Windows 8 app.
Apps certainly have their place. Especially for time wasting games :)

As time goes on though, I believe more and more standard programs will accomodate the Windows 8 memory manager's tricks.

Which would certainly be nice to have my Paint Shop Pro X just pop right open.

One of the reasons I bought and now love the Surface is fact that it runs standard software.

I could care less about tablet Apps - I can run real programs on this thing!

escott

I think the apps portion of the Surface is extremely important to its success. The apps noted above are very helpful or fun. Not to mention inexpensive. One of my frustrations for a Surface buyer wanna be is being able to view what apps are available prior to purchasing the Surface.