What's new

When Windows 10 Arrives

Tmozer

There are probably better places to ask about this, but as I am here........

I have "reserved" the Windows 10 release for my Surface Pro 3, my HP Windows 8.1 laptop and my HP Windows 7 desktop. I have heard that we will have the option of a full fresh install. My understanding of that is that the OS will be wiped. What will that mean for the other software installed? Will the full install retain it or will everything have to be reinstalled?

Just trying to develop a plan for 7/29..........

Spider

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you do a "full fresh install", everything will have to be reinstalled.

leeshor

The process allows you to do an in-place upgrade on those systems and leave EVERYTHING exactly as it was. It worked great on 2 of my systems using the insider WEB site. There is one caveat. The Windows 7 system needs needs to be Windows 8 capable. Microsoft states that Windows 10 will work on any system compatible with Windows 7 and Windows 8, not or Windows 8. There may be some processors that will not work.

OP
Tmozer

Tmozer

I just ran the Windows 8.1 upgrade checker on my Windows 7 desktop and it essentially told me no problem. So I guess I can install Windows 10 on the desktop (although I am not sure if I want to).

leeshor

That's exactly what you should have done. If the Win 8 checker says your OK you're golden. I'm suggesting to my customer that if their systems are less than 3 years old they should go for it.