What's new

Where is this sound coming from?

Windywave

The strangest sound effect is given by my SP4 when typing on the [amazing] key cover. It is a sort of crescendo "squeek" and occurs when I hit the caps key.

I can find no reference to it either generally on the web, or on this forum. It is not really a problem unless I'm in a quiet environment (library, office, etc.) when it creates a sometimes embarrassing distraction.

I would like to be able to toggle it on or off, but don't seem to be able to find the resources for it.

Any clues?

Thanks to the community,
Rusty

ScottyS

If your running Win10 go to Settings/Ease of Access/Keyboard and then turn "Hear a tone when you press Cap Lock, Num Lock and Scroll Lock" off.

OP
Windywave

Windywave

That did it. Thank you so much for the tip.
I was ignorant of how much is offered in Ease of Access settings, so now I have a completely new set of options to explore.

ScottyS

Glad that was it and not something more difficult. Windows has quirks such as "Play key sounds as I type" is under Settings/Devices/Typing whereas "Toggle Keys" which plays a tone when you switch on Cap Lock is under Ease of Access.

And starting with Win8 and now 10 most settings are now in Settings, but the old Control panel is still there (right click on the Windows button) and you can also find the setting under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Make the keyboard easier to use