What's new

Where to Buy and Return Policy

dm33

Where can you buy a Surface?

Assuming Microsoft is currently the only place, what is the return policy? The Microsoft store says
Returns and exchanges of computers, computer hardware items (including mice, keyboards, and printers), and other hardware items (including Xbox 360 consoles and controllers, Zune players, and accessories), will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase, provided the item has not been opened or altered from its original state and does not show wear or damage.​

What does that mean? I called Microsoft sales support and was told that a Surface could only be returned if unopened.

That is an exceptionally bad return policy unheard of in the electronics industry. Most every retailer provides at least 30 days money back return policy of course allowing it to be opened.

Is this being interpreted correctly?

J515OP

Super Moderator
No, I don't think you are interpreting it entirely correctly. That is most likely for returns without reason. Of course if there is a defect in the hardware or software you will be able to return (probably after authorization from tech support) an opened item. Typically this falls under a 1 year period though 60 or 90 days might also be a possibility if they want to be more strict.

OP
D

dm33

No, I don't think you are interpreting it entirely correctly. That is most likely for returns without reason. Of course if there is a defect in the hardware or software you will be able to return (probably after authorization from tech support) an opened item. Typically this falls under a 1 year period though 60 or 90 days might also be a possibility if they want to be more strict.

Still, buying a product that no one has seen its very possible, maybe likely to not like it.
EVERY other electronics retailer allows returns simply because you don't like the product.
I am amazed that Microsoft would have the worst return policy in the industry while trying to sell a major new hardware product.

Walmart, Target, Bestbuy. Tiger Direct, Apple. Anyone will accept returns of opened merchandise.

Microsoft stands alone in not allowing returns? So much for customer service.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I don't believe you are entirely correct about your point on returns, particularly for electronics which often require a restocking fee in order to return. I don't know MS's specific policy for this product other than what you have stated but it is probably in line with others retailers.

Nobody is forcing you to buy the product sight unseen. If you are not sure about it wait. I assure you there will be plenty of reviews and feed back since this is a major product launch in a hot market (tablets). The tablets will also be physically available at stores at some point at which time you can go and play with them to see what they are like. At that point you can decide to make a purchase or not without having to worry about the return policy.

Honestly if I were MS and started hearing about people wanting to order my product just to check it out and return it, I would crack down on my return policy as well. Who wants to ship a bunch of product out that the buyers don't intend to keep, only get it back 30 days later?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Full policy Microsoft Store Online

Seems reasonable and in line with others to me. Also I think you missed the last part:

Returns and exchanges of computers, computer hardware items (including mice, keyboards, and printers), and other hardware items (including Xbox 360 consoles and controllers, Zune players, and accessories), will be honored for thirty (30) days from the date of purchase, provided the item has not been opened or altered from its original state and does not show wear or damage.

OP
D

dm33

Full policy Microsoft Store Online

Seems reasonable and in line with others to me. Also I think you missed the last part:

That had been my original question to Microsoft support. What does, unopened OR unaltered mean? They said unopened can be returned. Either a poor return policy or poor training for support personnel. I had hoped someone would have more accurate knowledge or experience here.

And by the way, Walmart, Target, Bestbuy, Apple do not have restocking fees even on computers. Tiger does unless you accept store credit then there isn't any.

Who exactly would possibly buy a Microsoft Surface tablet today sight unseen and be 100% sure they're going to keep it? Given the immense lack of information Microsoft has provided so far, no reviews, no one can even hold one for more than a few minutes, who would be confident enough to buy such a product if no return is allowed?

There should have been more information released earlier. Reviews should have been published already. Otherwise its too big a risk on a complete unknown from Microsoft not known for ever having made a computer.

OP
D

dm33

Honestly if I were MS and started hearing about people wanting to order my product just to check it out and return it, I would crack down on my return policy as well. Who wants to ship a bunch of product out that the buyers don't intend to keep, only get it back 30 days later?
And thank you for your uninformative yet insulting guess. So much for a welcoming new community.

I'll take your advice and buy one of the other well known established tablets rather than risk it on Microsoft.

J515OP

Super Moderator
And thank you for your uninformative yet insulting guess. So much for a welcoming new community.

I'll take your advice and buy one of the other well known established tablets rather than risk it on Microsoft.

Or you know, just avoid "pre-ordering" and wait until demos are available and real world reviews are out. Personally I don't think very highly of buying a product you have no intention of keeping, which is what it sounds like you are advocating. In the end it costs everybody more because the companies have to factor those returns into the price of the product. If you want Walmart, Target or Bestbuy's return policies then wait until they sell the product.

BTW:

Walmart Corporate - Walmart's Return Policy
Computers, camcorders, digital cameras, digital music players, e-tablets, e-readers, portable video players, GPS units, video game hardware, pre-paid cell phones, and post-paid cell phones must be returned within 15 days with a receipt.
No restocking fee but only 15 days. (Apple only gives 14 days but 30 for iPhones.)

Target : Expect More Pay Less I
Items that are opened or damaged or do not have a packing slip or receipt may be denied a refund or exchange.
So this is at Target's discretion.

Point is that a link was provided to the MS policy (this is probably considered helpful by most people) and it was highlighted that according to that policy the item does not have to be unopened (again helpful) though you may have been told differently. Every store has their own policy and Bestbuy only recently removed its restocking fee. I don't see anything about MS's stated policy on their site that is out of line with these policies.

Last edited:

mapexvenus

Perhaps by 'opened' them mean taking the device apart physically, not opened as in unboxing? I have returned unboxed items to Apple, Best But, Google...

MHC48

Perhaps by 'opened' them mean taking the device apart physically, not opened as in unboxing? I have returned unboxed items to Apple, Best But, Google...

That's my guess too, that unopened refers to the chasis of the Tablet itself rather than the box. Just to be sure though, I plan to leave my preordered Surface in the box it comes in and try one out in a Microsoft Store.

That's the plan anyway, hope I can stick to it.

Last edited:

Tyler Durden

That's my guess too, that unopened refers to the chasis of the Tablet itself rather than the box. Just to be sure though, I plan to leave my preordered Surface in the box it comes in and try one out in a Microsoft Store.

That's the plan anyway, hope I can stick to it.

This policy is one of the reasons that Microsoft is going to fail. I pre-ordered two Surfaces - with the intention of keeping both if we LIKE them. We have no reason to think we won't and what risk do we have anyway? 30 day return policy. But that is UNOPENED and UNUSED. That is totally unacceptable. Even if we were to try one in the store for a few hours that still would not be enough for me to make a final decision on it. Sorry - the market does NOT work like that in hardware. Microsoft is going to do a monster fail here if they don't change the return rules.

Its an example of Microsoft's inexperience with Hardware (yes I know they make some). The kind of policy works well with software but is unacceptable for hardware.

In the next few days Microsoft will make an announcement and change the return policy on the Surface. There is no way that Ballmer is all in with Windows 8 and the Surface and doesn't have enough confidence to let people take them home and see if they are a fit.

AI

D.T. Rose

Bear in mind, everyone--this is still an early stage of organizing their website's policies and whatnot. As when the Surface initially debuted for pre-order, not everything on the site was corrected or fully published (such as advertising aspects on Surface's main page). Microsoft wants this to be very successful; they invested greatly. They will not allow a simple return policy to affect their customer's judgment on their products. Don't worry--they'll take it back.