What's new

Where to go?

Navmaxlp

Hey all! First post here. I've gathered a lot of info from this site in the past though. I'm about to purchase a Surface 2 and was trying to decide where to buy it. I have a Best Buy right near me but about 45 minutes away is a Microsoft store. What are the pros and cons? I'd like to buy right from the source so, if I have to return it for any reason, I can just take it right to the manufacturer's store. That being said, Best Buy is so convenient it's hard to pass up. Plus, if I have to take it back to Best Buy, that would be more convenient as well. Not interested in service plans. I'd rather let the manufacturers warranty take care of that kind of stuff. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help.

oion

I think either is fine, so it's a matter of stock. Horror stories tend to vary from store to store for third party vendors, but MS stores seem to give consistently good experiences judging by others in this forum. Just remember to register your Surface for that warranty service, link in sig. ;)

OP
N

Navmaxlp

Went down to the Microsoft store yesterday (Tyson's Corner, Virginia) and bought the Surface 2. As much as I like the Surface 2 so far, by far the most impressing thing was the level of customer service I received from the employees at the store. That was one of the best shopping experiences I've had in a long time. I had two employees helping me from the moment I walked in. This place was pretty crowded too. Then when I asked a question about my windows phone, they called a third employee in to help out. They sat me down and went over things with the Surface, got drinks for my wife and I (an important move for a wife who is 7 months pregnant). I was really impressed. A far cry from the elite snobbery I've run into at the Apple store where they feel like they are doing me a favor by even talking to me and if I don't like it, well then I am free to deal with it on my own. I felt like they truly appreciated my business. It made the purchase (that I was very excited about already) feel like a special event rather than a chore. I know I'm going on a little but this is an aspect of sales that I feel has been lacking lately. Feels good that Microsoft gets that and treats people the right way. Couldn't be happier and I encourage others looking to make a purchase to do so at the Microsoft Store.

ctitanic

Went down to the Microsoft store yesterday (Tyson's Corner, Virginia) and bought the Surface 2. As much as I like the Surface 2 so far, by far the most impressing thing was the level of customer service I received from the employees at the store. That was one of the best shopping experiences I've had in a long time. I had two employees helping me from the moment I walked in. This place was pretty crowded too. Then when I asked a question about my windows phone, they called a third employee in to help out. They sat me down and went over things with the Surface, got drinks for my wife and I (an important move for a wife who is 7 months pregnant). I was really impressed. A far cry from the elite snobbery I've run into at the Apple store where they feel like they are doing me a favor by even talking to me and if I don't like it, well then I am free to deal with it on my own. I felt like they truly appreciated my business. It made the purchase (that I was very excited about already) feel like a special event rather than a chore. I know I'm going on a little but this is an aspect of sales that I feel has been lacking lately. Feels good that Microsoft gets that and treats people the right way. Couldn't be happier and I encourage others looking to make a purchase to do so at the Microsoft Store.

Wow, what a nice story!:cool2:

CrippsCorner

Hopefully the people working for Microsoft are passionate about the company...

ballmercrazed.jpg

Well maybe not as much as that guy! But still, I know I would be. Glad to hear it anyway, I hope we eventually get some Microsoft stores here in the UK. What other products do they sell btw?

OP
N

Navmaxlp

What other products do they sell btw?

They sell pretty much anything that shows off or enhances Microsoft products. I saw a lot of touchscreen all in one comuters. A lot of Nokia phones. Had a whole slew of Surface 2s and Surface Pro 2s out and a whole lot of accessories. Had a display of the DJ blade cover. Saw the docking station for the Pro 2 as well. Honestly, I had to play with the docking station a little. I was wondering how well the connectors would fit into the tight USB 3 and Mini HDMI slot. I was surprised to find it works flawlessly with no edges getting caught when engaging with the slot. Coolest thing they had there by far was a 3D printer. It was busy printing a plastic grasshopper. Really cool to watch.

OP
N

Navmaxlp

I did. It was really cool. I'm hoping they do a lot with the blade concept. I think it could really set the surface line apart from the rest of the field