What's new

Where's The Alarm Clock?

nanodoc

Seems the surface RT OS does not have any alarm clock functions (unless it's very well hidden). Further, there is no alarm app in the store that runs in the background and the few that are posted must be on and running in order to even have a chance at working.

IMHO, this is a major failing for MS (both Android and IOS have a multiplicity of alarms available). Any solutions?

bosamar

Go to Marketplace = Charms Bar = Search = type Alarm Clock and enter.... there are choices

OP
N

nanodoc

And not a single one works because they cannot run in the background due to OS limitations - useless! Same thing with some music apps - cannot run in background.

bosamar

Can you be app-title specific please. I can play music and browse/play with apps with Multimedia 8 playing music side-by-side

ArnoldC

And not a single one works because they cannot run in the background due to OS limitations - useless! Same thing with some music apps - cannot run in background.

How can you state that to be an OS limitation when the built-in Music app runs in the background? Please do not generalize it to the RT when there are bad applications out there.

OP
N

nanodoc

The built-in apps take advantage of the fact that Microsoft keeps certain API's to itself (just as Apple and Google do) - they do not release certain API's to all developers because they do not like 3rd party apps messing around with the OS. As an example (and to answer bosamar's question, Metro Media Player [in the app store] stops playing when you switch to a different app.

And I defy you to find an alarm that works when the screen is sleeping - in my opinion, that's a fail since alarms should work even when the screen is off (at least they do in IOS and in Android) so why not in Windows.

OP
N

nanodoc

I assumed that would be the case - means Surface must be plugged in - kind of impractical but thanks for the tip - I hope that Microsoft will ultimately come up with some of the apps that are in previous OS's - maybe even Outlook:LOL:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Why would the Surface need to be plugged in? I get calendar reminders all the time in Connected Standby.