What's new

Which Antivirus

Tacodude

I finally had time to set up my Surface Pro 4. Do I need antivirus for it? Can I use Norton or is there something better out there? I will be using my Surface for surfing the web, email, and for Microsoft office. Thanks for your input!

leeshor

Defender is the default anti virus that Windows 10 comes with. They have been keeping it up to date nearly daily. If you want an extra layer Norton AV will work but try to stay away from Norton Internet Security.

mikedyce

I finally had time to set up my Surface Pro 4. Do I need antivirus for it? Can I use Norton or is there something better out there? I will be using my Surface for surfing the web, email, and for Microsoft office. Thanks for your input!
I have used Windows defender for ages now - haven't seen anything nasty get through yet.

Used Avast before that.

Mike.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used defender for a year now without problems. Before that I had bitdefender but that caused issues with the fan running on my SP3, no issues with defender. I sometimes run a malwarebytes scan also and it hasn't so far found anything defender missed.

Afy

I use Norton on all of my machines.. no issues.
I also use defender on all of my VM's.. no issues either.