What's new

Which one should I get?

Orlbuckeye

Good morning, everyone!
I have an opportunity to get an original surface book with these specs: i7 processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, nVidia 940M dedicated GPU
I can buy it for $1100, which is great, but the warranty is expired

Or...

I can go to Costco and get the 128gb, 8gb Ram, i5 w/Free Surface Dock for $1299. Its slightly more expensive (and lower spec'd) but at least I get a warranty and a surface dock for free

I could really use, and appreciate, your advice

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Well Costco gives an automatic 2 years warranty on any electronics device they sell.

OP
V

vincentallen2

Well Costco gives an automatic 2 years warranty on any electronics device they sell.
Yup! And Its bumped up to 3yrs if you purchase the square trade warranty from them
ffb07786423c96296f6aaf89030a74a4.jpg

Orlbuckeye

Well i purchased the i5, 8gb, 256 GB with a DGPU. I also added a 200 GB Mini SD card with an adapter. I value the disk space so for me I would go the minimum of 256 gb.

OP
V

vincentallen2

He already bought the 128GB look back about 7-8 posts earlier. :)
Haha thanks for pointing that out for me [emoji16]

And I probably would have went with that spec configuration, but Costco only offers the base model and the top spec'd $3000 model. So, I obviously went with the more affordable option [emoji14]

OP
V

vincentallen2

Hey everyone, I just wanted to give a small update. I've been really busy at work lately, and I only just recently opened the box hahahaha!
I took a few pictures, in case anyone was wondering what the Costco's Surface Book Bundle looked like
511070d3f01348e38be1bd728705be7f.jpg
df7f9644c4f2408502ae09cebad59a5f.jpg
f81f8d04235c3bcde40df4d8fe4edbfd.jpg
f51277e35b015a05da780c074a51c548.jpg
50428d31936a7da57c0379bd5dcfbc51.jpg

So far, I like it. I fell in love with the pseudo mechanical screen detachment sound, and the Surface Pro charger. I haven't used the Surface Dock yet, but I'll probably give it a spin sometime soon.

It's taking sometime adjusting to a smaller size. My last laptop was/is a Toshiba Satellite Radius 15 P55W-C5314 (I added 16gbs of RAM), so it's going to be interesting to see how I can transition to smaller screen size, RAM amount, storage size, and lower processor.

Overall I think I'm going to be happy, and I'm excited to own what will soon be a piece of computer hardware history. Big thanks go to @MickeyLittle, @GreyFox7, and @jnjroach for letting me invade their threads and advising me to make this purchase

wynand32

Just FYI, if you use the Costco Visa card to purchase a PC, then you get the 2-year standard Costco warranty (manufacturer + an additional year), and then ANOTHER two years via the Costco Visa. So, you actually get a total of a 4-year warranty. If you buy the Costco Squaretrade warranty, then you're covered for three years for accidental damage (the extra warranty coverage doesn't matter in this case).

OP
V

vincentallen2

Yup! And Its bumped up to 3yrs if you purchase the square trade warranty from them
ffb07786423c96296f6aaf89030a74a4.jpg

I'm literally driving home from Costco with my new Surface Book Bundle. I'm ready to put this baby to work! [emoji2]

Afrer taxes plus square trade warranty offered by Costco, It came up to around $1500 for everything

Thanks for your advice guys! I really appreciate your input [emoji5]️

Just FYI, if you use the Costco Visa card to purchase a PC, then you get the 2-year standard Costco warranty (manufacturer + an additional year), and then ANOTHER two years via the Costco Visa. So, you actually get a total of a 4-year warranty. If you buy the Costco Squaretrade warranty, then you're covered for three years for accidental damage (the extra warranty coverage doesn't matter in this case).
Yup! I don't have a Costco Visa, but I did opt for the Costco's Squaretrade Warranty. In the end, I paid $1500 for a surface book, surface dock, three 3 years of protection, and California tax. Microsoft is $1500 just for surface book by itself without even including taxes. I'm pretty happy with my decision. Costco is amazing. Thanks for trying to give me a heads up =)