What's new

Which Surface model???

MarkT

Hi all, just found your forum, so I'd like to say Hi!!

I have been around Windows since the days of 3.1, NT and onwards, recently I have been using OS-X on Macbook Pro and iMac, my usage at this present is minimal, web, email, Office, bit of blogging, trying to get into Web design, re-aquainting myself with Windows Server on a Dell server, I'd also like to get back into remote support so I can work from home part time as I am a full-time carer for my wife, I currently look after a server in Wivelsfield Green for my sister, which is fine when I'm at home, not so good when I'm away armed only with an iPad. Which leads me to look for a MS Surface for a bit of Windows 10 to cater for well most of my needs above. My problem is which one to go for, I was first of all looking for a Surface 3 after seeing a youtube video about the things it can do within Windows, however I have been reading it struggles with the more demanding apps, my thoughts were then with an SP3 of at least an i5 spec, however prices and lack of warranty have me somewhat concerned, I missed out on the recent free offers with the SP4 and now the prices have shot back unto normal retail, £849 for an i5, also I have seen on a youtube video concerns about screen calibration and grey colours when watching Netflix on an SP3 in particular and also about Thermal Throttling on the i5, are these issues still on the i5 SP4's.

Whatever I do buy has to be reliable and at a pretty good price as I don't exactly have money to burn.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Mark

leeshor

Welcome to the forum

I suggest the Surface Pro 4 4/128 based on your current needs. The throttling has become much less of an issue than it was as users have gotten Microsoft updates and learned how to tweak here and there, especially background tasks. I very rarely hear my fan come on. Though those YouTube videos are real issues those are fairly rare and usually caused by poorly designed apps or by the users.

You can find YouTube videos for just about every thing wrong that a person can imagine but some are one-of-a-kind issues or possibly a faulty device. That applies to just about any portable device, not just the Surface line.

OP
M

MarkT

Also I would like to be able to watch movies, youtube videos and Facebook with my my wife via our TV, which Wireless adapter should I go for, I've seen some good deals on the 1st generation, any issues with this version? Thanks

OP
M

MarkT

Welcome to the forum

I suggest the Surface Pro 4 4/128 based on your current needs. The throttling has become much less of an issue than it was as users have gotten Microsoft updates and learned how to tweak here and there, especially background tasks. I very rarely hear my fan come on. Though those YouTube videos are real issues those are fairly rare and usually caused by poorly designed apps or by the users.

You can find YouTube videos for just about every thing wrong that a person can imagine but some are one-of-a-kind issues or possibly a faulty device. That applies to just about any portable device, not just the Surface line.

Thanks for the reply, I mostly take youtube reviews with a pinch of salt, just that when I am looking to spend quite a lot of money of a piece of IT kit, I like to make sure I have at least asked the question.

I'll have look round see if I can find any deals on the SP4, I take it you mean the i5 version with 4Gb/128Gb? I'm hoping to add the MS Complete warranty after purchase as well.

Thanks
Mark

leeshor

I'll have look round see if I can find any deals on the SP4, I take it you mean the i5 version with 4Gb/128Gb? I'm hoping to add the MS Complete warranty after purchase as well.

That's it!

OP
M

MarkT

Thanks, the budget conscious side of me is debating on if to try a 2nd hand Surface 3 2gb/64gb for around £200 to see if I get on with it and use it, the other side to that argument is if that ends up putting me off, would a Surface 3 be able to remote support Windows and Windows Server ?
regarding the Wireless display adaptor, is the v2 that much better than the V1 to justify the price?
Thanks

leeshor

My personal thought is that you could quickly grow out of that model rather than grow into it. Will it be able to support Windows Server, yes it will. Windows is Windows. How satisfactory it will be depends some on the performance of the connections at each end but it will work.

OP
M

MarkT

Thanks again for your reply, I'd plump for a SP3, just a little concerned about the reliability factor as no warranty and the extra cost. closer to £4/500.00

Sp3

Hi, there are sp3's on ebay that are not as expensive as an sp4.
As regards maintaining a server, I used to do this on a 3.5 inch android phone.
All I used was an ftp app, and if needed an ssh app, both of which were free,
most servers also allow web access via a web administration panel, such as cpanel
or webmin, in which case a browser can do everything.
and an email app to communicate with who ever had any issues.
If you can get ftp and ssh applications on your ipad, then this is all you need
to maintain a server.
As for web design, I suggest a large screen laptop, as this is what most business people currently use to view the internet, even if you are designing for the mobile viewers it is
much easier to do this on a larger screen, keeps one from going blind.
Typing will be much easier on a a larger keyboard and easier to see on a larger screen too, I would not use my sp3 for design of web sites, too small a screen, means more sliding around or very small detail, none of which promote fast design times.
I use my laptop for design, and my sp3 for server maintenance when am out and about, I use them both 50 /50, but for slightly different jobs, my sp3 is as fast or faster than my laptop, but it can not complete for speed of use.

OP
M

MarkT

Hiya SP3,

Thanks for your reply, I have had a rethink after what you guys have said about screen size etc, I think I'll stick to web design on my iMac/Macbook Pro, I also have a Samsung 15.6" WS Laptop that I can use if need be, I think I'd still like a Surface for web browsing, email, support bearing in mind I do very little support at this time as I'm a full-time carer for my wife first and foremost, just not sure now on the speed etc I need, I'm in 2 minds to plump for a new one or spend a little cash on a 2nd hand Surface 3, 2Gb/64Gb around £200 or try and pick up a SP3 for around the £300 mark!!!!!!!
Thanks

Sp3

I reality a surface 3 is more than capable for browsing, emails, and server maintenance.
But if you have an ipad, then that's what I would use, I would love to tell you you need a surface or surface pro, but considering the devices you already have it would be morally wrong for me to do so, the surface and surface pros are very good and powerful, but you already have power, it would be different if you wanted something to stick on a microphone stand, small light etc, but this does not seem to be the case. If you do for some reason go the Surface Pro route, the new keyboard for the Surface Pro 4 fits and works perfectly on the older Surface Pro3 model, and it is a lot better than the keyboard marked for the Pro3.
A last point, if I had to travel a lot, I would go for the surface 3, even though I have an sp3, that little bit smaller will probably makes it physically stronger, more easy to protect in a back pack, and you save on weight, also it charges with a mini usb socket, as opposed to the proprietary one on the sp3.
I lost a 2 month old laptop because the power cable got pulled and the laptop followed it to the floor, this is why I was very excited to see the magnetic charging port on the sp3, just like the mbPro, it will most likely pull out and save your device from following it to the floor, a very smart decision to include this type of port, I hope they keep it in future versions.

PS, if you need a server / VPS for web design, I have been dealing with two great company's, and their prices won't be beat either, ask and I will pass them on, One German the other American.

Regards, john

Last edited:
OP
M

MarkT

John thanks for your reply,

I take on board the iPad route etc, the only thing that bugs me with that is the lack of a mouse when I am using the remote desktop connector, it works but I have to drag the pointer around to the where I want it then tap the screen, I think I will have a look at the current iPad Pro and consider upgrading as my old iPad 3 is only a 16gb anyway as my iPad 1 64gb now resides with my daughter due the lack of iOS updates. Its a shame as I was looking at the wireless display adaptor for when my wife and I go off on our travels and we like to watch movies late at night in the Travelodge etc, maybe I'll look into an Apple TV device for that instead.

I know what you mean about the magnetic charger, my MBPro has been saved a few times thanks to that device due to my dog lol.

Thanks
Mark