What's new

Which Surface should I buy?

ibenzawla

Based on the brief info you provided I think the Surface 2 will suit you well. Extremely versatile tablet and go a long way on a full charge plus with yesterday's 8.1 Update 1 things have become even better.

OP
M

M_Taylor40

Thanks Jeff, I'll see what the college is considering/planning when I complete my MCSA and see what MSCE fits in best with those plans! I was considering the Exchange/Messaging one, but with the big push towards and benefits of Exchange Online, I think I'll look towards the private cloud area instead.

Thanks to everyone else for their input as well, I'm leaning towards getting the Surface 2 64GB as I'll get the battery life I'm after and all the capacity I'll possibly need, and if I do need more I'll just look at a high capacity MicroSD card.

Also good to know about the possible inking capabilities of the Surface 2, that's one feature I liked from the Pros, but realistically I'll probably rarely use it.

I've already updated my Desktop and HTPC to Windows 8.1 Update 1, haven't used them enough yet to really notice any differences. Also, to be honest I likes Windows 8 when it came out, I was already familiar with the UI having a Windows Phone with the metro interface, and apart from a few minor annoyances I enjoyed the fresh new feel!

All being well I'll be able to post in the next few weeks to say that I've received my Surface 2, didn't realise how attached I'd gotten to the Acer W510 so handing that back has brought on some withdrawal symptoms lol!

Thanks again everyone!

M_Taylor40

chatterbot

The dell venue 11 pro with atom has been working well for me, although it isn't as good with video. Overall, it is less powerful than the surface 2 but is more compatible.

OP
M

M_Taylor40

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post an update to say that I've got a Surface 2 64GB!

Thanks for your help and advice so I could pick the best device for my needs, while making my mind up MS changed the student deals so instead of the £44 voucher I just got the money off! Only cost me £395!

I'm now going through customising it for my needs and trying to find the best apps in the store, shame they don't all offer trials so you can check them out before buying!

Thanks again everybody!

M_Taylor40

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post an update to say that I've got a Surface 2 64GB!

Thanks for your help and advice so I could pick the best device for my needs, while making my mind up MS changed the student deals so instead of the £44 voucher I just got the money off! Only cost me £395!

I'm now going through customising it for my needs and trying to find the best apps in the store, shame they don't all offer trials so you can check them out before buying!

Thanks again everybody!

M_Taylor40
Congratulations. Excellent decision.

When you find apps that suit your needs, please post what your needs are and the app that you found. There's a lot of junk out there so the gems are often difficult to find. For example, I had to test over a dozen cbr/cbz reader apps before I found COVER.