What's new

Which Surface Would Be Right for My Requirements: Excel, Adobe/Edit, Voice to Text?

Ripped

Hi folks

Finally talked my company into allowing me to get a tablet type portable computer, in order to make my time as efficient as possible.

I will have to run surface in order to have software compatibility with my existing computer and the others within our company.

I work on a large construction site (300 + residential units) and I have to track a lot of data. Usually I use voice to text on my iphone, but still have to import/edit that into excel or word.

My notes are usually on the fly, so maybe the pen would be nice, if I can hand write notes into MS Word or excel

If I have the ability to directly place voice to text, into excel, it would save me 5-10 hours each work week.

Yes I have to have excel. Our company has a license for multiple users/computers, so I am guessing if I got a surface pro (which does not have ms office on it) IT can install their license version on it.

I will have to have the ability to view/edit PDF docs. These will be CADD drawings converted to PDF, so large files and multi- layered.
I will need to be able to view these on the fly, as I move through the site, and also edit them.

I have an external USB internet stick, so that will be my network connection.

The basic surface has some of the features, basic office suite, but does not use the pen, nor am I convinced that it could handle the larger drawings, or software needs

This is purely a work device, so I don't care about viewing videos, playing games etc.
Good voice to text is a must. If it does not have that capability, then other than portability, it's no better than the set up I have now.

Which Surface do you think will fit my requirements best?

Thanks

oion

If you're using the tablet on-site and would need to hand-carry, a Surface Pro 2 (better battery life) plus the Incipio Capture case (rugged and with a handle, though there are other case options) seems to match your needs, especially with a corporate Office license, good pen stylus for notes, and any other enterprise specific software (like CAD). The Pro line is simply more flexible for corporate needs and gives growing space for a lot of different scenarios. And if your company will buy it, cost isn't such a big deal, I imagine. :)

I've never tested voice-to-text on my Surface 2, but maybe others can comment on that.

OP
R

Ripped

Thanks kindly. I believe you are correct, especially if we want to run more PC based software. I am going to research the included windows voice macros and dragon ns as well.

There is quite a good youtube video, on a gentleman using dragon ns and excel.
maybe someone else who has used voice on their surface will add their feedback

Cheers

Davidmc99

If you are running Dragon, the more RAM the better the performance. So, if your budget allows, go with the 8GB version of Surface Pro.

Omni

Remember your searching for the audio input of Windows 8.1 and not the Surface Pro2. Will greatly increase your results and they should be exactly the same...

OP
R

Ripped

Remember your searching for the audio input of Windows 8.1 and not the Surface Pro2. Will greatly increase your results and they should be exactly the same...

Thanks

I did a lot of research. It's clear that the resident speech software is not bad.

I ended up last night picking up a Surface 2 RT, along with a wireless microphone, headset.
I put it to some good productivity use this morning, and was able to shave about 3-4 hours off of my inspection lists.

Considering the speech software is learning my voice, and the number of corrections, and tat I am new to the tablet, this is really good. Essentially the unit paid for itself in my hours saved in the first day (sent that suggestion to my PM's today)

So I look forward to getting even more from my Surface tablet.

Cheers