What's new

Which version of Windows did you replace with Windows 10?

kundas1

[USER=12018 said:
@kundas1[/USER]
One of the Win 8.1 desktops was my gaming rig (i7 4771, GTX760) and I haven't had a lick of trouble with it. <fingers crossed>

that's because your gaming rig is 8.1 MY gaming rig is win 7... and it works flawless for me so I'm reluctant to upgrade it. ;)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
1 W8.1 laptop - pretty stable but suboptimal on 1366x768 screen, fine docked with 24" monitor which is the apparent sweet spot (Desktop mode with large hi res monitor, physical kybd & mouse).

1 W8.1 SP3 - 4 installs before the keyboard would work reliably (neither onscreen or type cover). Buggy as hell, still has issues. The SP3 has been relegated to sacrificial beta box since I have alternatives for doing real work.

Refused the update on Surface 3, waiting for stability, likely 3-6 months.

Beware, The W10 Update wont stay hidden. Use Notify me of updates option and check carefully lest they slip W10 in on you. Hid the update, it came back in a week.

lhauser

2 - 8.1 pro (One, a Lenovo laptop, was originally 7, upgraded via retail 8.0, then 8.1... and couldn't wait for an automatic upgrade, did it from the media creator download).

1 - 8.1 Bing (a new HP Stream 7. Took a couple of tries to get 10 to install, but it's nice now that it has).

compnovo

2 - 8.1 pro (One, a Lenovo laptop, was originally 7, upgraded via retail 8.0, then 8.1... and couldn't wait for an automatic upgrade, did it from the media creator download).

1 - 8.1 Bing (a new HP Stream 7. Took a couple of tries to get 10 to install, but it's nice now that it has).
One of my 8.1 Bing updates was a Stream 7, and it runs pretty nicely on Win10.

lhauser

One of my 8.1 Bing updates was a Stream 7, and it runs pretty nicely on Win10.

Can you use the split keyboard on the Stream? Mine is grayed out (it wasn't under 8.1). The tablet is just a bit too wide for comfortable thumb typing in landscape...

CrippsCorner

Surface Pro running Windows 8.1 > Windows 10

My old Dell desktop (now mums computer) running Windows 7 > Windows 10 (has made it horribly slow)

Girlfriends Dell laptop running Windows 7 hasn't been upgraded yet. She uses it predominantly for work purposes and I've just had too many problems with Windows 10 so far... will leave it a few months whilst bugs hopefully get crushed!

compnovo

Can you use the split keyboard on the Stream? Mine is grayed out (it wasn't under 8.1). The tablet is just a bit too wide for comfortable thumb typing in landscape...
To be honest I've never tried the split keyboard, not even sure how to enable it. I'm a terrible thumb typer so I doubt it would make any difference. :)

revmike

I upgraded a hp slate 500 running windows 7 that hadn't been used in almost 2 years. After all the prior updates were finally installed which took about 8 hours. I installed windows 10 to see if I would like it before putting it on my SP2, I'm still not moved to do so.