What's new

Which will you get Surface 8 or Surface RT?

Which Surface tablet will you get?

• Surface 8

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Surface RT

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Both

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

AbYe

I'm hoping to root my Thrive tab with Surface RT,hopefully it meets the RT's hardware requirements ... any inputs anyone?

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
We will have to wait and see how Windows RT works. There is a good chance it will be ported to other devices by developers though. Of course this is much more difficult (and possibly illegal) because Windows isn't open source like Android. The quickest easiest (most legal) way to get it on the device you want is to buy the device you want with it already installed.

It would be cool if they offered Windows RT for installation on other devices (like buying standard Windows for installation on any PC) but not sure that is very likely or even possible.

AbYe

The only reasoning I can see for MS not making RT available for installation is due to hardware compatibility. Hopefully RT goes to bed with dual core tab's just fine :LOL:

VFC

I would buy a Surface 8 today if it was available. My plan is to buy the S8 for myself and give the iPad to my wife. Unfortunately I may end up buying another iPad3 for my wife because she wants one now. If I do that, there would be no justification to buy the S8.

My situation is not that uncommon. Our company (computer company ironically) is encourgaing the field people, and those who work from home, to use iPads. We have a secure VPN network and they are only supporting MS laptops and Apple iPhones and iPads. Because of the form factor, most people I know have switched to Apple products. The iPad is my first Apple device. I avoided Apple for 30 years; but due to MS's lack of foresight, I have gone over to the dark side.

BTW : I paid $700 for my 64GB iPad 3. I would be willing to pay $1000 for a Surface 8.

Last edited:

akayareal

I would go for RT. I would eventually run Windows 8 Pro on my Mac. I would mainly want the tablet for gaming (not graphics heavy games, got a 360 & PS3 for that), media, and web browsing. I would basically look to limit my need for my laptop other then music production programs that require hardware, so RT would be a good in between device for me.

Also, I was looking into getting a Windows laptop again and didnt want to spend more then $400-$500 so if RT is more, then I would probably just go for a budget laptop seeing how I already have a high end laptop.

bologdl

Doesn't make any sense to pay 1K for the Surface 8 when I can get a Ultra book at that cost. To be successfully you need to compete at the price points of tablets not high end Ultra books with way more power and capacity.

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Doesn't make any sense to pay 1K for the Surface 8 when I can get a Ultra book at that cost. To be successfully you need to compete at the price points of tablets not high end Ultra books with way more power and capacity.

But it is an ultrabook in tablet form (or even ultrabook form when the keyboard is attached). The Surface RT is a "tablet" comparable to iPad and top of the line Android tablets and is priced accordingly.

s-tabletfan

But it is an ultrabook in tablet form (or even ultrabook form when the keyboard is attached). The Surface RT is a "tablet" comparable to iPad and top of the line Android tablets and is priced accordingly.

Agree. :) I have a netbook with Windows, but it doesn't do all the things the tablet can do.

brian.kelleher

I'd go for for the surface pro and I think 799.99 would be a fair MSRP. Also any word if I can run command prompt from my tablet instead of having to download an android terminal emulator?

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
I'd go for for the surface pro and I think 799.99 would be a fair MSRP. Also any word if I can run command prompt from my tablet instead of having to download an android terminal emulator?

Hi Brian, the Surface Tablets run Windows and the Pro in particular runs regular Windows 8 which means you can run a command prompt box without downloading anything. Not much is known about RT but hopefully it will be more like regular Windows than Android or iOS which require apps for such things.