What's new

Which will you get Surface 8 or Surface RT?

Which Surface tablet will you get?

• Surface 8

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • Surface RT

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Both

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters

alan1476

I agree with all your replies but for me it would have to be in line with the IPAD3. I mean thats the main competition here, it would be foolish to over price a new tablet, when something is new you want people to wait in line to get one. At the 1K price point , I dont think that will happen.

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
I agree with all your replies but for me it would have to be in line with the IPAD3. I mean thats the main competition here, it would be foolish to over price a new tablet, when something is new you want people to wait in line to get one. At the 1K price point , I dont think that will happen.

You have to remember there are two tablets being offered. One is a standard computer with Intel chips that happens to be in a tablet form (Surface 8). The other is a more "traditional" version of a tablet with ARM processors designed for smart phones/tablets (Surface RT). Surface 8 is comparable to a Mac Air and the Surface RT is comparable to an iPad. So if you want the iPad like tablet at iPad like prices you would go for the Surface RT which is expected to be in the $500 range.

That is one great thing about the two versions. Want a full blown PC and corresponding price? Get Surface 8. Want a portable power efficient tablet at a lower price? Get Surface RT.

Sparky7474

Well this is will be my very first tablet EVER, I am not apple fan, so I was never impressed by any of their tablets, I can super close on purchasing the Motorola Xoom, with Android. I am a big supporter of the Android products, but I felt like it was missing something and that it was just an OK product and I couldn't see spending 600.00 dollars on a product that I wasn't going to use to it's full potential. With that said... I am super excited and will be picking up the Surface 8 not only is a tablet that I can use at home for entertainment, but I will be able to use it at work. I am an I.T professional, and with the surface I will be able to use it in a professional setting which allows me to be mobile since I work on a big campus, and still keep me connected to my network infrastructure.

OP
J515OP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Very interesting to see that this is exactly even so far. Not sure what I expected but don't know if I expected this result. It makes sense in a lot of ways given the price and performance differences.

Keep voting!

polylogic

well,
€250-400 for RT
€400-650 for 8

that sounds reasonable and fair.
you get a top of the line gaming pc for around €500-700
and there is not much gaming with the surface

guess they rely on the i5 internal gpu ?!

Skywaffle

Super Moderator
I would limit myself to the same price as any decent iPad or Android tablet. Same as 4Nines; if I needed something to do serious work, I'd probably just use a desktop. As portable as the surface tablet is, I do not see myself using it in the same manner as a conventional desktop or laptop computer

Tom T

I actually would prefer the Surface 8 for the digitizer, but with the RT being released first I can't say for sure I won't get one...but which keyboard?