What's new

whitelist tool will not work on new Surface RT

firstnamemike

Hi,
I have had a surface for about 6 months and I was able to watch flash on sites that were not "approved" by downloading the Whitelist Tool.
I used this link
Windows RT Flash Player Tool brings Flash content to your Surface browser | Windows Phone Central

This worked great on my old surface. BUT my new Surface RT gives me the following message, "This app cannot run on your pc. Go to the store..."

Does anyone know what is up with this? I would be happy to pay the developer of the whitelist tool for the use of his app. Droidkid.net

Thanks for your help.

oion

OP, Microsoft got rid of the IE whitelist early this year and replaced it with a blacklist, so pretty much all the websites you run across now should work in terms of Flash (outside of other web coding/browser compatibility issues). Make sure your Surface is updated with Windows update. I'd recommend also enabling Tracking Protection Lists for some ad-blocking support.

beman39

As I've informed you in my post before, all videos work on my Surface, posting the same site over again will not help, wondering if this is a shameful attempt to try and advert the website? lol

Last edited:

oion

I cannot stream the video at Home - Rush Limbaugh - The Rush Limbaugh Show. I was able to stream on an older surface after I added the site with whitelist tool. Now I understand whitelist tool is not able to be used on newer surface. Is it possible to manually add this site so I can watch the video? Thanks for your help!

As I said, there is no whitelist anymore, so the tool won't work because there's nothing to add any site to. For any problem websites, you might try adding it to the IE compatibility list.

beman39

Which I don't think he has to because the everything is working fine for me, maybe this whitelist thing has to do with mucking the site up? also could he still be on 8.0 for the whitelist to work? maybe if he updates to 8.1 might fix his problems?

oion

Which I don't think he has to because the everything is working fine for me, maybe this whitelist thing has to do with mucking the site up? also could he still be on 8.0 for the whitelist to work? maybe if he updates to 8.1 might fix his problems?

That reminds me that OP gave incomplete information. He says "new Surface RT" but if he already had one that worked, there's no reason to buy a new one, so maybe he's already on a Surface 2. The whitelist would exist in 8.0 only if he really has a Surface RT and disabled autoupdate and didn't patch from about February 2013 onwards. Regardless, I'm not about to click that link, so we have your report that it works fine on your Surface 2 and his doesn't work for whatever reason. If he doesn't try the compatibility list or maybe TPL or if there's no mobile version of the site somewhere, there's not much else to do for troubleshooting that I can think of. Maybe the official MS boards if it's super duper important to OP.