What's new

who bought the extended warranty?

NexusBeatz

im getting it tomorrow. its only 99 dollars and that covers spills, damages anything wrong with it. id rather get it and be safe then sorry .. fyi it doesn't cover keyboards though (even if you have the bundle)

pvtpyle75

Hi all, decided after 10 days to keep my surface. I still feel it is about $100 more than I wanted to spend, but I have already been using office for some work projects, so maybe it is worth it.

Once I decided to keep it I added the warranty. As stated it covers drops and spills which most don't. There is a $50 deductible and you can use it twice throughout the 2 years. My thoughts after getting a Windows Phone 7 from the smoked by windows challenge is that Microsoft if very good about honoring their warranties. On top of that if they no longer carry an older model at the time of you use your warranty they will replace with what is available (equal to or better). With my Windows Phone they basically told me to dunk it in water as the new Windows Phone 8's were around the corner and I would get upgraded to that.

I don't condone fraud, but by the time 2 years comes around there will be most likely a Surface 2 or 3 which would be given to you if yours breaks. So essentially a newer model for $150 versus $400+, if you have a problem.

So I say go for it 100%

leeshor

Hi all, decided after 10 days to keep my surface. I still feel it is about $100 more than I wanted to spend, but I have already been using office for some work projects, so maybe it is worth it.

Once I decided to keep it I added the warranty. As stated it covers drops and spills which most don't. There is a $50 deductible and you can use it twice throughout the 2 years. My thoughts after getting a Windows Phone 7 from the smoked by windows challenge is that Microsoft if very good about honoring their warranties. On top of that if they no longer carry an older model at the time of you use your warranty they will replace with what is available (equal to or better). With my Windows Phone they basically told me to dunk it in water as the new Windows Phone 8's were around the corner and I would get upgraded to that.

I don't condone fraud, but by the time 2 years comes around there will be most likely a Surface 2 or 3 which would be given to you if yours breaks. So essentially a newer model for $150 versus $400+, if you have a problem.

So I say go for it 100%

And you swear you don't work for Microsoft. ;);)

pvtpyle75

Just a big fan boy. I actually cheer for the underdog, zune, windows phone 7, surface. I was previously an Android fanboy when Android was not popular. :)

whyjoe

I got it. The way my phones look, I am sure I will use it. I will scratch it eventually, or drop it. FWIW, a rep in the store told me it covers the touch cover, but not the one who sold it to me. (And the way these touch covers are going, I could probably exchange mine every 25 days anyway. Seam, muting, etc.)

keithr

My Surface died a couple of days ago (would only boot into the Bitlocker recovery screens and the recovery wouldn't finish). When I get my replacement (hopefully today), I think I will run over to the Microsoft store and buy the extended warranty.

A couple of things to note when calling Microsoft Support for Warranty assistance:

1) They run off a script and will want you to reset your device with the power supply connected. I tried going through the procedure one the phone with them from work (where I didn't have my power supply) and they insisted they couldn't help me without the power supply connected. I had to call them again from home when I had access to the power supply.

2) If they have to replace your Surface you can either do it at the physical store you purchased it from. Or in my case, I had preordered from the online Microsoft Store - so my only option was mail replacement. If you are buying a Surface, you have more replacement options if you buy it from a physical store.

richto

I have a 4 year-old in the house, that alone persuaded me to buy the extended warranty.

What relevance is that? It doesnt cover accidental damage.

SECTION 5. Exclusions and Limitations

(a) General Exclusions. Microsoft is not responsible and this Plan does not cover the following:

iii.damaged by any external cause, whether by You or someone else using Your Product , including, for example:
•by being dropped;
•misuse (including use outdoors), abuse, negligence, or accident;
•mishandling;
•damage during shipment, except from Microsoft or an authorized retailer or distributor to You;
•exposed to liquid;
•used with inadequate ventilation;
•scratched, dented, etc. or shows other cosmetic damage;
•failure to follow installation, operation or maintenance instructions;

Under EU law you have 2 years cover anyway, and up to 6 years in the UK.

Last edited:

Atthisaddress

Here's a link to the page for the Surface RT in the USA...

Microsoft Store Online

It does say: "You’ll get coverage for hardware damage, even from spills or drops, and we’ll provide expert technical support for two years."
It also says: "must be purchased within 45 days of the device purchase" so if you want the extended warranty you'll want to act quickly.