What's new

Who can recommend a very good antivirus app?

nipponham

I used to use Trend Micro because that's what my company offers, but I found that it was resource heavy and did a lot of background processes which ate into battery life. I now use Kaspersky, which does a better job of protection (IMHO), and it's much lighter on resources which is giving me much better battery life.

Matthew Reimer

My GF, had Trend and was fludded with viruses and malware. I ended up buying us ESET and she has been virus free for a week now. (She was infected about every other week.

enthuz

I have been using Trend for a very long time and have never had a virus that got past the scheduled scans. Of course I don't live in the shady parts of the internet either.

InspectHerGadget

I de-smeg computers as part of the I.T. services I provide.

Norton is very good. Good technical help easy to install with a text license file so easy to find and reinstall.

Overall excellent.

HitmanPro and MWB are great but are really for occasional scans or when problems happen.

I see by the way viruses and malware circumvent all major security including Trend, Kaspersky and the like.

Prevention is better than the cure which is why products that rate security of websites (which is most paid ones) can be very good.

Some products such as Norton 360 also do basic system cleanup. Even though I'm a techie I still like Norton 360.

It is always a good way to start an argument although many people's arguments are based on the fact that it has worked protecting themselves. A limited sample I would suggest.

If you're careful and lucky you can get away with just the basic built in Windows Defender and the like but if you have important data to protect, I would recommend paying for the best security you can get.

Up to date backups are also essential.

Donald King

Sounds to me like the GF"s web habits are causing problems, not the brand of AV software. Maybe this would help her:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/

I have to agree. I only use the built in Windows Defender - and have for a couple of years - without any other AV products and I never have an issue. I keep my files backed up with File History and once a month I take a whole system image to a USB disk. All AV platforms can be circumvented by Malware - and will never replace the security of a well informed user.

Arizona Willie

I find it hard to believe that you are an IT guy cause most won't let Norton < near > their computers.

Norton installs itself throughout your machine and is a virus itself.

Friends don't let friends use Norton.

99% of IT people would NEVER use Norton or recommend it to anyone.

I de-smeg computers as part of the I.T. services I provide.

Norton is very good. Good technical help easy to install with a text license file so easy to find and reinstall.

Overall excellent.

HitmanPro and MWB are great but are really for occasional scans or when problems happen.

I see by the way viruses and malware circumvent all major security including Trend, Kaspersky and the like.

Prevention is better than the cure which is why products that rate security of websites (which is most paid ones) can be very good.

Some products such as Norton 360 also do basic system cleanup. Even though I'm a techie I still like Norton 360.

It is always a good way to start an argument although many people's arguments are based on the fact that it has worked protecting themselves. A limited sample I would suggest.

If you're careful and lucky you can get away with just the basic built in Windows Defender and the like but if you have important data to protect, I would recommend paying for the best security you can get.

Up to date backups are also essential.

Donald King

I find it hard to believe that you are an IT guy cause most won't let Norton < near > their computers.

Norton installs itself throughout your machine and is a virus itself.

Friends don't let friends use Norton.

99% of IT people would NEVER use Norton or recommend it to anyone.

This is especially true for the personal versions. But as a 15 year IT Pro I can tell you Symantec's enterprise versions are pretty good and have lots of great management features. Of course I would never recommend Norton/Symantec for individual use. If you feel you must have an AV product installed on a personal machine, go with Kaspersky. It is the only one worth the money - enterprise or consumer side.

enthuz

I will be using the Enterprise version of Symantec on my SP3. Since I'm the Symantec Engineer too, it is my fault if I get hit hard by a virus. ;)