What's new

Who has an SP3 and S3 and considers it acceptable to have both?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short story, i got scholarship money from university because i am just wonderfully fabulous, or more accurately, because i am flat broke, but the funds can only be spent in the university shop, where there is not really anything worth buying (i'd like an external hdd but they are asking £150 for a 3tb seagate drive when you can walk into any shop and buy the 4tb model for £95)

Basically i've money and not much to do with it. The uni is sponsored by apple, so naturally i started campaigning for the shop to stock the SP3 given how it is of huge use to students whereas ipads are a total waste of money, and while no SP£, they just started selling the S3

So i have a choice, i could buy an S3 (4gb/128) to replace my nexus 10 (i have much more use for applications than apps, the nexus 10 just has vlc for media and chrome. Other than that i've no use for worthless little games (have a nexus 7 for that if i really want). already have a spare pen, and would forego a keyboard and use it purely as a tablet.

Or i could buy a pair of ASUS VN289Q 28 INCH WIDECREEN MONITOR but would then have to find money for the dock, and havn't even been able to find if they're any good or what DP they use. so about £500 for monitors and £150 for dock.

really tempted to pick up the 128/4gb

Temptations! I like toys, and would be nice knowing i could take this about and such without having to worry about damaging it (given that the SP3 is absolutely essential to my studies)

malberttoo

I can't tell you who they are off the top of my head, but I've seen at least a couple users here who said that they now have both S3 and SP3, and make clearly different use cases for each.

TeknoBlast

I have both the SP3 and S3.

The S3 I take with me when I go to work so I can browse the internet and watch media files. Also share this with my four year old when he wants to play with any of the game apps.

As for my SP3, I keep that at home to do heavy work or visit clients to do some more work. This is more taken care of more than the S3.

Do I need the S3, of course not, but I enjoy technology.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know greyfox is a suspect. Just wondering if there are any who bought two for as you say, specific uses, as opposed to just having cash lying around and just bought the S3 to see what it was about.

I pretty much have a need for two tablets, When home, m SP3 takes on HTPC duty and the nexus 10 becomes the inernet on the couch machine. Would be rather nice to have that couch machine with a kickstand and also the capability of windows 10, instead of android which is good and all, but it's an old tablet, pretty slow now, and has a lot of issues with flash and that lot.

Thanks for the reply technoblast. Kind of the usage case i have in mind. Just this weekend i had to go out and about but needed more funtionality than my android tablet, but was very wary about the fact that i've got my daily driver on me when all i needed it for was some light usage followed by watching some films etc. The kickstand is a huge selling point for me for that department.

I don't really need it either, but i have funds that i've nothing to spend on, and because of onenote, i don't need to worry about buying folders and pens and paper and printing credits etc. First bit of money i had i bought an ipad air 2 just because why not, realised how worthless it was to me so sold it for real money. I'm contemplating buying it, and if i don't find much use, sell that for real money that i can then use to buy a pair of monitors (or one fancy ass curved ultra wide) that i actually want, not simply the out of date stock the shop happens to be unable to get rid of.

LibbyLA

I have both SP3 (i5/4GB/256GB) and S3 (4GB/128GB), as well as a Toshiba Z30A (non touchscreen 13", i7/8GB/256GB) and a Dell Venue 8 Pro (2GB/64GB) in a Zagg Auto-fit case, all purchased in the last twelve and a half months. Quite frankly, if the S3 had been available when I got the Z30A, I probably would have only the S3, but I'm not about to get rid of any of the others because I can afford to keep them all and can use them all.

For most of my work, I use a Dell T1500 workstation with dual 24" screens in portrait orientation, but I use a portable when teaching (I teach a statistical programming course at a state university) and when we're at our camp most fall through spring weekends of the year.

I got the Toshiba at the end of April 2014, to replace a four-year-old Toshiba Portege R600 that was still working fine but I just wanted some newer technology, and I was beginning to run out of SSD space and I could not find a replacement (older technology that wouldn't accept the current crop of SSDs).

I know a lot of people don't consider a 13" screen to be big, but for me, it's HUGE. Even though it's thin and lightweight, it takes up too much space on the dinette in our camper trailer and it's cumbersome to use when riding in the truck.

In early August 2014, I got the SP3. It was bigger than I wanted, but I had to have full-blown Windows 8.1 so the other (smaller) Surface models weren't viable choices. I still wasn't happy about the size but it was an improvement over the Z30A. I use the Z30A for my first day of class, when I have to record over 2.5 hours of material, and carry the SP3 the remaining class days when I don't have to record and just have to do short presentations.

Over January 1 weekend, I'd planned to take both portables to the camp with me because I needed lots of battery life (no electricity there unless we run a generator). Unfortunately, in the haste to move stuff from my car to the truck and get on the road, I forgot that they were in the car, hidden under something because I'd had to stop at a store and didn't want them in plain sight. I vowed to get something really small that could be slipped into my electronics tote bag.

So I got the V8P so I'd have a tiny Win computer, and it's actually my favorite for just hauling around. With the Zagg autofit case and keyboard, it's a tiny clamshell laptop. However, I'm not much on the touch interface and carrying a mouse is a bit annoying. Also, the text is pretty small and the screen's not the brightest. Still, I love the little thing and I have done some work on it, including writing and debugging some SAS programs and transcribing a very bad 20 minute video. It's a pretty darned useful little computer when portability really matters.

I just got the S3 earlier this week. It's still a tad too big <wry grin>. I think 10" is probably my "sweet spot". However, I used it in my lap for awhile this morning and it is definitely more "lappable" than the SP3. I have a big lap (long legs) but that inch or two less, front-to-back, with the typecover and kickstand for the S3 as compared to the SP3 really makes a difference in comfort for me.

I will probably use the S3 the most, along with the V8P. I'm not sure which of those two will be my main camp computer and probably won't decide that until the fall, when we will be spending weekends at the camp. I really like the backlit keyboard and trackpad on the S3. The S3 outweights the DV8P/Zagg case by less than 2 oz. With the mouse, the DV8P is actually a little bit heavier. The S3 will probably become my regular class computer instead of the SP3. I'm not sure what I'll use the SP3 for, but I want to keep it because I may need the power occasionally.

I was thinking today how big the S3 seems, and yet it's smaller than a regular sheet of paper! I remember the first "tiny" portable that was fairly small, a Compaq that was 8.5 x 11 x probably 1.5 to 2. At the time, that seemed tiny, but now I'm thinking that the much smaller S3 is still a little too big. Weird.

Most of the time, I use the portables for presentations, word processing, spreadsheets, and web access. I also have to be able to run SAS (the statistical programming language I teach), although not complex statistical programs, just data manipulation ones. All four of these computers can do all those things easily, although not necessarily at the same speed. Still, the DV8P is acceptable for the statistical programs, it just takes a few more seconds than any of the others.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but I think that if you want and can afford to have both SP3 and S3, there's no reason that you shouldn't. I think that the S3 may be a little more usable than the SP3 for students who use their computers on the go a lot, but you may also have a use for the larger, more powerful SP3.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both SP3 (i5/4GB/256GB) and S3 (4GB/128GB), as well as a Toshiba Z30A (non touchscreen 13", i7/8GB/256GB) and a Dell Venue 8 Pro (2GB/64GB) in a Zagg Auto-fit case, all purchased in the last twelve and a half months. Quite frankly, if the S3 had been available when I got the Z30A, I probably would have only the S3, but I'm not about to get rid of any of the others because I can afford to keep them all and can use them all.

For most of my work, I use a Dell T1500 workstation with dual 24" screens in portrait orientation, but I use a portable when teaching (I teach a statistical programming course at a state university) and when we're at our camp most fall through spring weekends of the year.

I got the Toshiba at the end of April 2014, to replace a four-year-old Toshiba Portege R600 that was still working fine but I just wanted some newer technology, and I was beginning to run out of SSD space and I could not find a replacement (older technology that wouldn't accept the current crop of SSDs).

I know a lot of people don't consider a 13" screen to be big, but for me, it's HUGE. Even though it's thin and lightweight, it takes up too much space on the dinette in our camper trailer and it's cumbersome to use when riding in the truck.

In early August 2014, I got the SP3. It was bigger than I wanted, but I had to have full-blown Windows 8.1 so the other (smaller) Surface models weren't viable choices. I still wasn't happy about the size but it was an improvement over the Z30A. I use the Z30A for my first day of class, when I have to record over 2.5 hours of material, and carry the SP3 the remaining class days when I don't have to record and just have to do short presentations.

Over January 1 weekend, I'd planned to take both portables to the camp with me because I needed lots of battery life (no electricity there unless we run a generator). Unfortunately, in the haste to move stuff from my car to the truck and get on the road, I forgot that they were in the car, hidden under something because I'd had to stop at a store and didn't want them in plain sight. I vowed to get something really small that could be slipped into my electronics tote bag.

So I got the V8P so I'd have a tiny Win computer, and it's actually my favorite for just hauling around. With the Zagg autofit case and keyboard, it's a tiny clamshell laptop. However, I'm not much on the touch interface and carrying a mouse is a bit annoying. Also, the text is pretty small and the screen's not the brightest. Still, I love the little thing and I have done some work on it, including writing and debugging some SAS programs and transcribing a very bad 20 minute video. It's a pretty darned useful little computer when portability really matters.

I just got the S3 earlier this week. It's still a tad too big <wry grin>. I think 10" is probably my "sweet spot". However, I used it in my lap for awhile this morning and it is definitely more "lappable" than the SP3. I have a big lap (long legs) but that inch or two less, front-to-back, with the typecover and kickstand for the S3 as compared to the SP3 really makes a difference in comfort for me.

I will probably use the S3 the most, along with the V8P. I'm not sure which of those two will be my main camp computer and probably won't decide that until the fall, when we will be spending weekends at the camp. I really like the backlit keyboard and trackpad on the S3. The S3 outweights the DV8P/Zagg case by less than 2 oz. With the mouse, the DV8P is actually a little bit heavier. The S3 will probably become my regular class computer instead of the SP3. I'm not sure what I'll use the SP3 for, but I want to keep it because I may need the power occasionally.

I was thinking today how big the S3 seems, and yet it's smaller than a regular sheet of paper! I remember the first "tiny" portable that was fairly small, a Compaq that was 8.5 x 11 x probably 1.5 to 2. At the time, that seemed tiny, but now I'm thinking that the much smaller S3 is still a little too big. Weird.

Most of the time, I use the portables for presentations, word processing, spreadsheets, and web access. I also have to be able to run SAS (the statistical programming language I teach), although not complex statistical programs, just data manipulation ones. All four of these computers can do all those things easily, although not necessarily at the same speed. Still, the DV8P is acceptable for the statistical programs, it just takes a few more seconds than any of the others.

Sorry for being so long-winded, but I think that if you want and can afford to have both SP3 and S3, there's no reason that you shouldn't. I think that the S3 may be a little more usable than the SP3 for students who use their computers on the go a lot, but you may also have a use for the larger, more powerful SP3.

Many thanks for the time put into the response. Size for me is the issue with the sp3 I think, much like yourself. While it is great in many situations, when just picking up with one hand, or passing around for other students to look atmynotes, it just seems little unbalanced. Looking at the dimensions of the s3 it is only very slightly larger than my nexus 10 (huge bezels) and only slightly heavier. Sounds a great compromise to me,

You'll probably have noticed that I'm really just looking for someone to tell me to buy it already :-D

I currently have a desktop, an sp3, nexus 10, and nexus 7, and each have their pourpose, hence not selling the nexus 10. But given the performance bump over the nexus 10 (and the fact that it isn't android where I'll be halfway through replying to a post, open a tab to check some facts, only to have the other tab reload when I go back to it :mad:) and the fact it runs full windows. I'm beginning to be sold :) and worst case scenario, its free money that I can take a small hit on and turn it into real money if I decide its not for me,

I'm just stoked its on sake at the uni shop. Since starting uni everyone in my class, even those with brand new macbook air have expressed a wish for one of these but that the shop only sold obsolete laptops or expensive apple products. Now my friends actually have the option of buying something truly useful to their studies instead of buying an expensive Samsung or apple tablet purely for reading slides. Now they can make their notes on them as well.

Just got to find 50 pounds to add to my shop account then I think I'm sold.

LibbyLA

hughlie,

You know you want it :D. I haven't compared the inking experience on my personal SP3 and S3 yet, nor the screen brightness, but I did on an SP3 and S3 at the MS kiosk at the mall when I went to look at the S3 several days before I bought mine. There was a subtle difference in the feel of inking on the S3 as compared to on the SP3, and I can't really explain what it is, but I preferred the S3 feel. The sales guy who was working with me was skeptical when I said something about it, but he tried it and he came to the same conclusion.

The S3's screen was brighter than the SP3 screen.

I think for a student hauling a computer around for classes, the S3 is a better choice as long as you don't need more RAM, a larger SSD, or faster processor (e.g., engineering or graphic design student).

I haven't compared typing feel between the two. I was amazed at how good the typing experience was on the SP3 (that was the tipping point on me deciding to buy one). The reviews indicate that S3 is better (stiffer keyboard with less flex). I do know that keyboard size doesn't bother me since I've typed on lots of smaller keyboards, including one with a Japanese layout that was very nonstandard.

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
hughlie,

You know you want it :D. I haven't compared the inking experience on my personal SP3 and S3 yet, nor the screen brightness, but I did on an SP3 and S3 at the MS kiosk at the mall when I went to look at the S3 several days before I bought mine. There was a subtle difference in the feel of inking on the S3 as compared to on the SP3, and I can't really explain what it is, but I preferred the S3 feel. The sales guy who was working with me was skeptical when I said something about it, but he tried it and he came to the same conclusion.

The S3's screen was brighter than the SP3 screen.

I think for a student hauling a computer around for classes, the S3 is a better choice as long as you don't need more RAM, a larger SSD, or faster processor (e.g., engineering or graphic design student).

I haven't compared typing feel between the two. I was amazed at how good the typing experience was on the SP3 (that was the tipping point on me deciding to buy one). The reviews indicate that S3 is better (stiffer keyboard with less flex). I do know that keyboard size doesn't bother me since I've typed on lots of smaller keyboards, including one with a Japanese layout that was very nonstandard.

You're damned right i want new shiny things :) Got to have something to tide me over till the sp4 is released. Een if the S3 fufilled all of my student needs, i'd keep the sp3 purely for the horesepower (spent the afternoon playing bf2 as my main machine is stranded in London)

I've no issue carting the sp3 around, fits perfectly in my bag, and i'm not fussed about the keyboard, if i need to do assignments, i tend to use my sp3 to type, a library computer for research, and my nexus 10 for powerpoints and course material.

Now i just have to go find that £50 somewhere. I might be a broke student but i still want shiny things :) Not to mention i know it would infuriate my girlfriend so why would i not buy it???? She was perplexed enough when i bought an ipad air 2, and she's an appleholic, so i can't wait for her reaction when i blow £500 on something i don't really need and from a company she has no time for
:)

The only thing i wish, and hopefully they consider it with the next gen of surface products, is a more matte screen. Was on a train sat, sun, and mon last week, and in order to watch video's i had to have brightness at 100% and it was still hard to watch at times. My battery didn't like that.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I have both and then some... :D separating out business and professional uses, in the personal use area I use the S3 for most web stuff and portable tablety things which I previously use my S2 for. yeah for me it's much more comfortable than using the SP3 for that even though you could and for a while I did.

As a professional in the technology space there is no substitute for having and knowing vs the alternative. That's how you separate the wheat from the chaff.

The OP confused me in the original posting... the choice is an S3 or two monitors?
I think my Tee Shot went out of the park, the runner stole second, and somebody committed a personal foul and was penalized 15 yards. :)

OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
@GreyFox7 yup, I've only about 450 pounds left of my scholarship money, but given what I am able to buy at the shop, its either a pair of monitors (already have an old Samsung 24") that i would benefit from, but they sell outdated obscure monitors that are almost impossible to find a review of, in short, a crap shoot, or I can now buy an s3 instead (which could in reality solve the need (want) for dual monitors, after all the extra screen is just for poweerpoimts or onenote etc). Monitors would also mean buying a dock and then having a surpluss 24" monitor with nothing to do with and little resale value. S3 is actually beginning to make sense :)

And as an Englishman, I'm afraid your sports analogies are utterly lost on me. Leg before wicket, now that's something I can understand :)

Now I've just justified the logic in buying a wireless display adaptor :) I type way too much (I zone out, its a therapeutic action) but damn I'm awesome.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
@GreyFox7 yup, I've only about 450 pounds left of my scholarship money, but given what I am able to buy at the shop, its either a pair of monitors (already have an old Samsung 24") that i would benefit from, but they sell outdated obscure monitors that are almost impossible to find a review of, in short, a crap shoot, or I can now buy an s3 instead (which could in reality solve the need (want) for dual monitors, after all the extra screen is just for poweerpoimts or onenote etc). Monitors would also mean buying a dock and then having a surpluss 24" monitor with nothing to do with and little resale value. S3 is actually beginning to make sense :)

And as an Englishman, I'm afraid your sports analogies are utterly lost on me. Leg before wicket, now that's something I can understand :)
Seems the best value for the money is the S3.

Those sports things don't go together... like a googly in croquet

Last edited:
OP
H

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seems the best value for the money is the S3.

Would you look at that, I somehow managed to justify it to myself :) no wonder my girlfriend has stuck around all these years, the evidence available rather lends towards the hypothesis that I am awesome. A new shiny!

And if I don't find myself using it all that much (2 external monitors isn't really needed, just wanted) then I could also lend it to friends in class while I use my sp3. I'm amazed quite how few people I know use or understand the benefits of one note, as in I've not met one person st uni since September who has known that one note even exists, it should be encouraged, and maybe it'll also highlight to them why they really should just buy one. I'm fully behind MS on the surface line. A very rocky start, but it has evolved so much and rightly deserves as much success as it can. For them and us :)