What's new

Who is getting one? Why or Why not?

I had to take my Surface Pro 3 to the Microsoft Store last month for an evaluation and did take a look at the Surface Go and also listened to what one of the technicians had to say about it. It appears to be a good little device but possibly a little to small for me to use on my knees. I am though intrigued and have an interest and may purchase at some point.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your response. I know nothing about Linux. The Surface Go isn't for everyone. I use it when I travel and give talks. It might serve you in the future.

Shawn

ecostnste

Just bought the 8GB Surface Go after finding carrying a laptop about too much and an ipad too restrictive....have to say this is a superb piece of kit, really impressed with it so far...can do everything i can on my laptop, on the size and weight of a tablet.

Just bought the 8GB Surface Go after finding carrying a laptop about too much and an ipad too restrictive....have to say this is a superb piece of kit, really impressed with it so far...can do everything i can on my laptop, on the size and weight of a tablet.

Good news, ecostnste. I am glad that the Go worked out for you.

Happy 2020.

Cheers,

Shawn

Plantje

I still think the bezels are too wide. Would have been really nice if the device was more like the iPad

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Definitely a tradeoff with the narrower bezels ... iPad aside with it's different OS... With the ProX I've run into some issues with touch or scrolling because of my thumb or hand also touching the edge or accidentally hitting the side forward/back navigation buttons on web pages. This latter thing is an annoying stupid implementation anyway trying to mimic fwd/back swipe which I detest with a passion so triggering that is triggering me to no end. Just because you can NEVER means you should. It's all about getting you to go to unintended pages for the page loads and add revenue.

Plantje

I never had that on the Surface Pro 2017. There is also something in between... the bezels of the Go are way too big to my taste. And whereas the Samsung Galaxy tablets seem to get smaller bezels all around, the iPads still have a little bit wider bezels on the sides (in landscape) and narrow on the top and bottom. That is what I would really like! The 8" Archos that I have also has bezels like that and I really like it! Unfortunately the Archos doesn't perform anymore, so apart from that it is useless

I have to admit that the more I use my Surface Go, the more I like it. I can understand people who do not like the bezels of the Go. Once I start working, I no longer notice them.

We will have to wait and see if the Surface Go 2 will have thinner bezels.

Cheers,

Shawn

I really have to give a shout out to Microsoft for introducing the Surface Go. This little device has been a lifesaver during the pandemic. We can no longer hand out paper at the uni where l work, so my students turn in PDFs through the platform we use. It is nice to mark up the document and send it back with the grade. It has made my life easier. My office no longer has stacks of old exams and quizzes.

l am looking forward to the Surface go 3. I was amused at the number of reviewers who thanked Microsoft for making the bezels thinner on the Go 2, but still wanted even thinner bezels. I can understand their point of view after seeing the Surface Pro X.

Plantje

I don't know... Even though I am a fan of the Surface line... Wouldn't a Lenovo Duet for example be a less expensive but sufficient solution?

I am not a fan of Lenovo. Yes, there are less expensive devices out there that do the same thing. I prefer the Surface line. It works for me.

Plantje

And that's the most important part! I own a SP2017 Advanced LTE myself and I am very happy with it! But for my kids (6 and 9) I would prefer something less expensive and more able to run most apps. A chromebook would be nice in that case.
However, for the time being, I have a small desktop with an i3 and 8GB of RAM for my daughter and for both kids a Galaxy Tab A 2019. My boy and I share one and my wife and our daughter share one. That is sufficient.

I like your comment when it comes to bezels. I would really like the next Surface Go release and SP8 to be more like the Surface Pro X. That would be nice!