What's new

Who thinks the Surface Pro II will have a larger screen?

What size will the Surface Pro II Screen be?

• Total voters
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I've read somewhere Microsoft said Windows 8.1 will fix the scaling problem on external monitors (they said something like "We are aware blabla").

Perhaps but I just don't see MS putting out a tablet with a default 250% zoom just to be able to read the text. Either MS has to put out a non-competitive resolution or they need more space. They simply cannot do a super HD res on a 10.6 inch tablet running Windows 8. Remember that we are talking close to a year from now.

Anyway it's an interesting problem and I am curious as to how they will address it. There is nothing sacrosanct about 10.6" that it must be preserved at all costs, especially when RT tablets will be going 8".

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Yep, my point exactly. What would the zoom factor need to be on the Surface Pro II to be able to read text with a 3200 x 1800 display, assuming these things are to be ubiquitous shortly? 10.6 would be impossible.

Just wait till they start coming out with Quantum Dot screens where pixels are the size of atoms.

Sent from Boards for Windows on Windows 8

tonyz3

My opinion is there will be a bigger surface 2. Maybe. Now before I got my surface I had a Fujitsu which was 11.6 than I got the Sammy 500t another 11incher, than I got rid of it because the key board dock had issues connecting so I got an asus 810 with 11.6 ..all of these had digital screens which I think is a must have but I have to say after getting the SP I prefer the smaller screen. I really wish they included a digital screen on the original RT and if they do come out with a smaller size I hope it has the digital screen.

malberttoo

Especially given the SP's high resolution, squeezing an entire web page into a 16:9 portrait view makes for unreadably small text. 16:10 would be better. If the next screen is super HD (as it almost has to be to compete), this will only be worse.

malberttoo, why did you voted for "Same" in the poll if you think larger would be better?

Well I DO think 16:10 is the way to go. But I don't think they will do it... :wink:

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

If you had any doubt at all that Surface Pro will be FORCED to go 11.6" or larger, here is what the competition is looking like. As they say, s*** just got real.

Dell XPS 11 combines the best of Lenovo's Yoga and Microsoft's Surface | The Verge

Dell's Computex assault is formed by just one, standout product, the XPS 11. This 11.6-inch laptop touts an outstanding 2560 x 1440 resolution, plus its exterior is adorned in a carbon fiber weave and machined aluminum, yet the company is pitching as something even more: a two-in-one device.

The hinge on the XPS 11 allows the screen to flip nearly a full 360 degrees, turning the workaday laptop into a fun-filled tablet — very much in the same vein as Lenovo's Yoga machine. You can't detach the display, but the sub-15mm thickness with the keyboard included makes this a reasonable device to use in tablet mode even with the keypad still attached. Intelligently, Dell has designed the keyboard so that once the hinge passes 180 degrees, it becomes insensitive to input. It is a curious set of buttons that Dell's opted for here — the prototype we saw had almost no travel to them, though touch was very quickly recognized. You might think of this as a Microsoft Surface with the keyboard cover left attached. Of course, that'd be doing the XPS 11 a disservice, owing to its amazingly dense display and freshly official Core i5 Haswell processor.

Also on tap with this machine will be USB 3.0, Thunderbolt, an SD card reader, and an active stylus.

Microsoft will have to impress the hell out of me with Surface Pro II to have me choose that over a device like this. Wow. Microsoft better be ready to BRING IT (and they might, we'll see, but just a Haswell refresh on the current SP isn't going to cut it).

Although products at this level could be bad news for Surface Pro, they are good news for Windows 8. With the Windows 8.1 upgrade and technology like THIS, I think Windows 8 is looking at a much brighter future.

Last edited:

Codevine

The Dell XPS 11 looks pretty cool. That Acer Iconia W3 not so much, I'd go for a bit larger, and the dock seems bulky (not like the Surface Pro where you can just flip it over). Also, Atom's performance is a bit too low. Anyways, I've just ordered my Surface Pro, looking forward to try it out. :)

Spaniard

I want it. Let's wait Microsoft's move, next 26th June.

Surface 2 could be like this:
8", Intel Atom, 8 hours battery life and Windows 8, NO Windows RT
It's 16:10 1280 x 800 (Surface RT is 16:9 1366 x 768)
Acer Iconia W3 official: the first 8-inch Windows 8 tablet launches this month for $379 (hands-on)
http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/2/4390008/acer-iconia-w3-tablet-hands-on
dsc02630-1370159766.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Wow, that Acer is fugly. Just me? White plastic bezel? Really?

If Surface II goes Atom, full Windows 8.1 and 8" for under $500 with the keyboard included i see it is a major win.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

The Dell XPS 11 looks pretty cool. That Acer Iconia W3 not so much, I'd go for a bit larger, and the dock seems bulky (not like the Surface Pro where you can just flip it over). Also, Atom's performance is a bit too low. Anyways, I've just ordered my Surface Pro, looking forward to try it out. :)

Well we are at minimum 6 months out from any of these new devices. Assuming you need something now still a good buy.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I read an interesting article conjecturing that MS's real goal in creating the Surface Pro was to drive their Hardware Partners to put out better devices to compete. Hmmmm, interesting and probably too clever by half, but it is a thought.