What's new

Whoa. New "Surface Book" just shown

zhenya

No, Microsoft has a thousand OEM's who are willing to make $500 garbage PC's for them. They are doing exactly the right thing by making the category-defining, ultra-premium devices that nobody else is willing or able to make. It drives the entire industry to producing better products, and acts as a halo for Microsoft as a brand.

Zhenya- I would agree but unlike Apple who is the only game in town for Apple hardware, you can order notebooks with a hardcore video card and many of the same features. Although many will have something different than the surface book, the differences will be overlooked and people will just see the price difference.

tonypitt

I am really glad that Microsoft is introducing something of this sort. I do think it might be a bit of a tough sell for them as they are totally new to this space. Companies that always buy HP or Lenovo are going to have to start thinking of Microsoft as a laptop vendor. They also are going to have to fight the fear that some people will have that this product will flop or for other reasons Microsoft will decide to get out of the hardware business in a couple of years. Over the years I've bought a lot of Microsoft hardware that was top notch--and then stopped being sold.

My feeling is that Microsoft has just launched a product that could get people talking about them in a different domain than before. If they hit the ball out of the park, or at least solidly, this could fuel a resurgence that they badly need right now.

That's my $.02, at least.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am really glad that Microsoft is introducing something of this sort. I do think it might be a bit of a tough sell for them as they are totally new to this space. Companies that always buy HP or Lenovo are going to have to start thinking of Microsoft as a laptop vendor. They also are going to have to fight the fear that some people will have that this product will flop or for other reasons Microsoft will decide to get out of the hardware business in a couple of years. Over the years I've bought a lot of Microsoft hardware that was top notch--and then stopped being sold.

My feeling is that Microsoft has just launched a product that could get people talking about them in a different domain than before. If they hit the ball out of the park, or at least solidly, this could fuel a resurgence that they badly need right now.

That's my $.02, at least.
HP and Dell (not sure about others) are now also selling Surface devices and I assume that also means Surface Books. To an enterprise that means they can order and get support from the same vendor they have been as well as resellers like CDW etc.

I have the SP2. It's ok except battery and gfx speed.
I think I'm leaning more to the SP4 than the SB.
1) if you use the SB As a tablet, all the ports are on the keyboard.
2) no kickstand on the SB.

ON a side note, I really hope the a Nvidia in the SB is at least 3-4GB of ram. 3000x2000 for gaming is gonna need it.

surface book is very tempting, I gotta see it in person first but right now I would probably pick it over sp4....now to weigh the price :\

Dim-Ize

Shame it wasn't just an add on base for the SP4. I will probably pass on Gen 1 of this device.
I agree, Compusmurf. What a cool accessory that would be for the SP4. I like the size of tablet only in SP4 better and would like to be able to have the kickstand on the SP4 when not using the base. A SP4 with a SB keyboard base accessory would be my perfect setup...

mtalinm

1TB version is $3199. you can get to it from the website if you use the help-me-choose tool, but they don't list it probably to avoid headlines of "$3,000 for a Surface?"

chrsb

This looks interesting..my question is what kind of performance do you get in tablet mode? I notate PDFs in the field and hate it when my screen lags. If I detach the screen will the performance be hindered? I have a sp3 and depending on the size of the PDF, sometimes it's intolerable. I know this is a Surface forum, but am also considering an iPad Pro...
Main uses- PDF notating, note taking, pics, all while walking job sites. Then usual email and web. I use Bluebeam on both iPad and SP3....SP3 version is much more versatile.